Thursday, February 16, 2017

Wednesday 15th

Wednesday I had a leisurely morning. I found out there was a heated outdoor pool a short walk away from where I was staying, so I decided why not go for a swim? The sun was shining and the water felt good. Swam for about 45 minutes enjoying the rhythm, the chance to use different muscles.
When I got back it was almost noon, so I made myself a sandwich and got ready to ride. It didn't take me long to pack up. It was nice to have been given the opportunity to stay as long as I had and leave whenever.
It was foggy and cold by the coast but once I started riding away from it it got sunnier and warmer with something of a tailwind.
I realized I probably should have taken route planning a bit more seriously, must be getting lazy...
So I ended up riding into Camp Pendelton, the army marine base. Turns out cyclists aren't allowed biking through the Navel Weapons base area, which just so happened to be the road Google maps told me would lead to Fallsbrook. Great. There was nothing to do but turn around and backtrack (an activity I rather dislike). My only consolation was that I had the time (and it was a nice day to be out riding). I checked my maps for an alternative and found myself on a "bike route", Sleeping Indian road, which turned out to be an insanely hilly road, as in hills that went straight up under the beating sun with 8-13% grades! 
Must say, got some spectacular vistas. There were lemons, limes and tangerines growing in orchards all along the slopes, some being harvested. It wasn't unusual to see citrus fruit lying along the side of the road. Made it to Fallsbrook and didn't linger. Crazy hilly.
The shadows began to lengthen and I started wondering if I'd make it to Temecula before the sun set.
Was on a road next to the freeway for the last big stretch. The freeway was moving slow, so cars opted to take the road I was on which made it noisier. I had a good shoulder for riding on, for the most part. Except for the windy canyon bit, go figure.
Then down into Temecula. Found a Starbucks and got a hot chocolate and bagel and parked myself for about an hour.
My host, Kelly, wanted me to meet her at her work at 7:30. I rode the sidewalks as I had only one bike light. There was a bike shop next to where she worked so I looked around.
Kelly was very apologetic about it being so late, and got Subway subs for late supper.
I got to sleep in her daughters Hello Kitty bed :)
Booked an AirBnb for Thursday night so I have a place to go since none of the three WS hosts responded to my requests :(
Might have to stay two nights weather dependent... And that's not going to be cheap.
--
- Eritia

No comments:

Post a Comment