Thursday, February 23, 2017

Onward, on a cold detour

After another good nights sleep and a great breakfast of yogurt, fruit, granola and toast it had to pack up again.
Both Randy and Phyllis rode out with me on their bikes to the main road where we said our goodbyes.
I have a lot of admiration and respect for that couple.
I discovered my left pedal was broken, it was difficult to clip my shoe into it. Once it was clipped in it was fine though.
It was a cool morning and the road was pretty straight with a steady gradual uphill grade.
I felt like the day off the bike had done me good. I felt mentally and physically able to handle the days ride.
Clouds covered the sun and after about 50 kms the real climbing began. 
My body must be adapting to all the cycling because it didn't seem so bad. I just got into a rhythm and listened to music and slowly pedalled my way up the hill, enjoying the view as I rode.
There was lots of room for cars to pass so it was great!
At the top of the mountain pass was the town of Yarnell. It looked like it was a popular town to buy antiques.
From there it was pretty flat for awhile and I flew down the road because of the strong tailwind.
Then came the fork in the road where I could choose a longer more gradual way up the second mountain or the shorter steeper route.
I felt up for shorter and steeper, besides all the trucks and RVs were taking the more gradual route and I liked the idea of not having to deal with them!
It was a good climb, averaging 5% grade. Great landscape to look out on.
I got colder and colder with the increasing elevation so I stopped to put on another layer and have a bite to eat.
And then I made it to the top, and it was downhill into the town of Prescott. First place I stopped was Ironclad Bicycle shop to see what could be done about my pedal situation. It didn't look so great. So I had a choice of living with a broken pedal or buying new ones that were compatible with my cleats for $100.
My pedals had a good life. I used them on every solo tour I've done to date (stole them off Mr.Fuji, my road bike).
Figured I'd have to get pedals at some point so I gave the new ones a shot. Not sure that was the best choice as its really hard to unclip my feet from them, but maybe that has more to do with the fact my cleats on the bottom of my shoes are worn. Can't replace them because the skrews are stripped, besides the shoes are old and also need replacing. Sigh.
I only have a few more riding days before my trip is over.
They had the cutest little dog at the bike shop and before I left took pictures of me with little Darcy.
Stopped at a grocery store for yogurt and bananas, then, being thoroughly chilled, I had my Garmin lead me to my Warmshower hosts address.
Phil had left me with the garage code so I could get in since he and his girlfriend were working late.
It was great to be able to get warm, get showered up, and have some time to process the day in the quiet.
When Phil and his girlfriend got home they made some supper to share, by which time it was past 8 pm. We talked about tours and touring and then it was time to call it a night.

--
- Eritia

No comments:

Post a Comment