Sunday, February 26, 2017

Challenging Saturday

Saturday morning dawned sunny but cold (-2 C) in Cornville.
I was not in a hurry to leave the warmth and face the road ahead.
I had memories of just how much the ride up to Payson hurt.
A lot of elevation gain. Peter and Geni sent me on my way with bananas and an apple as well as some bread I would have for supper later.
Finally said my goodbyes at 9:45 am.
I didn't feel as rested as I would've liked, legs just weren't happy to be facing hills.
The sun felt good.
Rode through the town of Verde Valley and then the climbing really began. 7% grade, and on and on it went without relief.
It was hard and I was thankful for the easy gears on my bike and the music I could listen to to take some of my focus away from how hard it was. It was hard to even want to eat and drink but I knew I needed to keep up my strength. Maybe it was the elevation getting to me...
I went up into the piney woods, where snow lay on the ground still. Brrr! Where is my winter riding best when I need it? Oh yeah, I left it in Phoenix, not thinking I'd be needing it anymore. Mistake.
Maybe it was the cold that made the ride extra challenging.
But, with every uphill comes a downhill. I was grateful for the break. My right knee was sore as was my hip. Pressing on...
Made it through the town of Strawberry and Pine and then more hills up to Payson.
It was about 4:30 when I got to the Houston Mesa Campground, but looking around I just couldn't do it, pay money to put up my tent, and showers cost $3! So, after buying a gallon of water at a local gas station I rolled on back down 5 km, the way I had come to where I knew I would be able to camp for free. Flowing Springs, down a hard packed gravel road.
There was a pit toilet and lots of space to camp. I had enough daylight left to find a nice secluded area to pitch my bivy tent, and eat. I had a wet wipe "shower" and put on clean dry, warm clothes. That felt so good.
It got dark by 7ish so after hanging my food at up in a tree I crawled into my cozy mummy sleeping bag.
The other campers kept playing their music for a good while so it took awhile to fall asleep, and then I tossed and turned all night trying to get comfortable. At least I stayed warm enough when it got down to 3 C.
Waiting for morning is hard.
But I saw it coming slowly.
Dry granola and an apple for breakfast as I went down to the river to see it after hearing it all night.
Then packed up and got ready to ride. My last long day of my trip.
In Payson I found a McDonald's where I could warm up my frozen toes and get some wifi.
--
- Eritia

No comments:

Post a Comment