Monday, February 20, 2017

Sunday's Ride

The day began with a thick wet fog hanging over everything. I decided to wait till it burned off before venturing out.
The days of the week have lost their definition, so I decided, it being Sunday I'd listen to Tim Keller while getting ready.
By 9 am the sun started breaking through and the roads were looking dryer.
The first hour was riding through the flat agricultural sector. Apparently it's brussel sprout harvesting time.
I could feel something of a tailwind, which I welcomed.
Then it was over the rather wet looking sand dunes area. The place was busy with all manner of all-terrain-vehicles. It's obviously weekend and a long weekend to boot!
Monday is President's day here in the States.
The road was busy with RV traffic and trucks with trailers.
I saw bumper stickers saying things like "we sand united", and "Glamis, it's a sand thing". Some RVs even seemed designed to carry ATV's in the back portion.
The clouds made for something of a mix of sun and cloud.
At about the half way mark I really started noticing the tail wind, and it felt like a gift. I know what it's like on the other end of the spectrum.
When I passed the random boarder patrol station I learned there was a group of three touring cyclists about an hour ahead. I had briefly seen them the day before in Brawley and wondered if they were going the same route.
 I made really good time despite the hills, often glancing down at my speedometer and seeing 40 km/hr displayed there.
My shoulders started aching which wasn't fun. Some people think cycling is only leg muscles, but I always feel it in my arms as well, balancing the bike.
It was nice knowing the road and what to expect.
I avoided the gravel road I had come on the last time.
It was about 5 hours into the ride that I started really feeling it, all the exertion, the hours in the saddle.
Made a point of stopping to eat a few buns and drink before continuing on along the last stretch of country roads. The roads had recently been flooded from the rains but were mostly dry.
Decided to hit up the McDonald's for a treat and for wifi as soon as I got to Blythe.
Never has a Reese McFlurry tasted so good! And the large cup of Sprite mixed with sweet tea went down quickly.
I felt so tired, and well I should after a 145 Km's in 6 hours, and not flat either!
I headed to the B&B Bait store. It was familiar and Andrea, the gal who helped me last time, was working the store. She's cool, I like her. She suggested I sleep in the pool hall building, which is like a screened in building, since the ground was rather wet. It was super dusty so I swept it out a little before taking a shower and getting cleaned up.
I was sitting and journaling when I heard that the three cyclist guys were coming there as well. Andrea did some quick thinking and organizing and had me move inside the unlived in house so the guys could have the pool hall to sleep in. Upgrade!
At least it was cleaner.
The guys were late teens, doing the Southern tier route together. We chatted a bit with the locals, who think we are all a bit strange but interesting. They're headed the same direction tomorrow but I kinda think we'll end up doing our own thing. I have yet another long ride ahead of me, and then, hopefully a day off of the bike again.

--
- Eritia

No comments:

Post a Comment