In the morning I had a great breakfast with Phyllis and Randy. Great because it was like something I'd have at home, yogurt, fruit and granola, which really made my day! Sometimes being able to eat familiar things or talk to familiar people seems welcome with all the new I encounter everyday.
I had the chance to make PB&J sandwiches for lunch to take along, which I welcomed as a great diversion from energy bars (it's impractical to buy the fixings and drag them around in my opinion).
Phyllis rode her bike out with me to Hwy 60, one reason being that she had to open the gate to let me out again, the other being that she'd made it something of a tradition to make the ride with her guests.
It was still quite cool at 8:15 am when I set out (12 C).
Road lines were freshly painted so I tried to avoid them.
I must've had a tail wind because I made really good time for the first two hours, then it got warmer and the wind shifted and I began to struggle more.
I biked by a few groves of pistachio trees.
I thought about Arizonas 5-C's, the things that shape it's economy, something one of my hosts shared with me. Climate, Copper, Cotton, Citrus and Cows.
I was amazed at just how many RVs and FifthWheel motor homes drove by. It seems kinda unreal that people lug so much stuff around, but I suppose it has to do with comfort and ease of travel etc.
Not everyone has the health or ability to travel as environmentally friendly and simply as I do.
The climate is such people come to Arizona in droves. Hot and dry (unlike Florida which is humid).
I stopped beside the road to eat my lunch just before getting on interstate 10, which was the only way for me to get to where I needed to go.
It was gross. Two hours of riding on the shoulder of the busy Hwy was aweful.
All I saw was shredded tires along the sides of the Hwy. And the heat intensified with the traffic and sun beating down. Passed through Quartzsite. I think the scariest part of the Hwy cycling was the exits, because cars would be whipping off the Hwy and I wanted to stay on the Hwy, so I tried to be as careful as I could.
Somehow time passed. I was more than happy to pull off at the rest area to get away from the madness of crazy traffic, of a world frenetically rushing places. I don't think I realized how overheated I was getting, so it was good to stop and be out of the sun and stretch a bit.
Before I knew it I got to the California State Line and had to stop for inspections, where they simply waved me on. I got off on the first exit, relieved to be done with the craziness.
First thing I did in Blythe was find the local library (since I have learned what a valuable resource they are!)
That was where I discovered I had gained another hour, Pacific time. Can't say I was particularly thrilled about it.
Did what Internet things I could since I highly doubted my destination offered such a luxury.
I was headed up to the B&B Bait shop where they offered a shower, washrooms, and camping space (as well as supper).
They were super friendly, the gals who worked the shop. It was quite basic, primitive even, especially compared to last night, but I figured it's all part of the adventure.
I got showered up and then just sat and journaled, too exhausted to do anything else.
When the sun began to loose it's intensity I ventured to the store where I was offered my choice of drink (they sell a lot of beers there...) Vitamin water looked the best option, and for food, my choice of frozen pizza (the large cheese one seemed most appealing). I hung out with the locals for awhile. They were simple folk with a lot of character. It got dark pretty quickly.
I set up my little bivy tent out back, choosing to be in the fenced Ina real so as to avoid duck poop.
I was warned of the road ahead, narrow shoulder, fast traffic. Yup, Friday's ride promises to be just as long as today's was. Less hot (apparently it felt like 30 C) which will be good.
Breakfast at McDonald's so I could get wifi to post :)
My return from San Diego will likely have to be on the same roads, which means I may be staying here as well as at the airfield again.
"Could it be that temporarily embracing-even extending- situations of felt need, of unmet desire, might in some way enhance our delight?" -Michael Yankoski 'The Sacred Year'
--
- Eritia



No comments:
Post a Comment