Sunday, February 5, 2017

Sweet Saturday

Too bad paying to sleep somewhere doesn't guarantee a good nights sleep.
I was up with the dawn watching the sunrise from the porch. It was nice, although cold.
Made myself a big bowl of oatmeal (I had made up packages at home with flax seed, milk powder, nuts, raisins and, in this case, cocoa.) and added yogurt to it. A good filling breakfast.
I enjoyed the quiet time to journal, blog and get my things together. Always have to keep track of my things so I won't forget anything.
I took one brief walk up to the little park on the top of the hill overlooking Globe. 
Headed out at about 10 am, hurtling down the steep hills, glad for my disc brakes! Then it was onto Hwy 60 ( there, once again, was no other paved roads that would get me where I needed to go).
It was busier than I would've liked.
It quickly grew warm and I rode with short sleeves for the first time this trip.
Passed more copper mines, apparently it's a big thing here.
I had to get over another mountain pass. It was slow with a lot of traffic and there really wasn't much of a shoulder to ride on, but, if nothing else it was a beautiful area to ride through.
Every uphill led to a fast downhill. I think today's ride would've been great to film on a GoPro, because it was when I was whipping down those hills that it was most spectacular and I didn't feel safe pulling out my camera and riding with one hand at those speeds.
So many noisy motorbikes. Guess they were all out for their Saturday morning pleasure cruise.
Apparently jerky is a big thing as I saw a roadside stand selling the stuff at "Top-Of-The-World".
And then, there was "the" tunnel, the one I heard much about. It really wasn't a big deal because I was going so fast. It was brightly lit and popping out the other end I saw "the" bridge elegantly spanning across the valley, again, though there was no shoulder to ride on I went over it so quickly I hardly had time to think about that.
What a blast!
Then I was down in the town of Superior.
There was a rest area where I stopped. Always nice to have access to real washrooms along the way.
Had myself some more of that delicious bread, reapplied sunscreen and was back on the road again.
The Hwy became double lane with a generous shoulder which was less stressful to ride on. I began seeing more cactus again.
Just seeing the Arizona landscape made me feel a special love for the place.
The Hwy seemed to get busier, the sun hotter as I rode.
It wasn't as long a day as I had initially thought it would be, at 78 Km's (yesterday was 127).
Made my way into the Peralta Trails area where I found a park to chill out at for an hour. It was lovely being out of doors so much!
Then I found my way to BettyKay's place.
She and her husband had a couple from Toronto over for supper. Snowbirds :)
I also met their neighbor Carolyn, who is from London, ON. She's offered to take me to church Sunday!
--
- Eritia

No comments:

Post a Comment