The Philippians 4:6-7 verses had me thinking.
Maybe I just needed the reminder not to get worried about things but pray it through, bring it to the one who can do something about the things that are beyond my control. Then there's that reminder to do so with thanksgiving, not as if God was some kind of giant vending machine.
I realized I could be thankful, even when things weren't ideal. So in the night hours when I awaken I consider all the things I can be grateful for!
Maybe I'm "introverting" because the more tired I get the harder it is to deal with life, with other people.
I was happy when morning came. I packed up, ate the breakfast of toasted quinoa bread and cereal Harold provided. Then I was out into the crisp morning air with my bike. It was lovely seeing the sun, the blue sky.
I travelled along Hwy 70, apparently there really aren't too many other paved road options.
I enjoyed seeing the snow capped mountains in the distance and hearing birdsong.
I saw a lot of cotton bits along the sides of the road, and at one point, picked up a piece so I could marvel at it. It seems so strange that it grew on a plant, this soft white cotton ball material!
It's usually about an hour or so into my ride I need to start looking for adequate underbrush to relieve myself, and sometimes there really isn't much to choose from.
The road started getting busier with all manner of traffic blowing by, so I put my music on so the traffic wouldn't drive me crazy.
One carload of people honked and yelled suddenly as they drove by in an effort to scare me. I just shrug it off. The things people do for fun.
I entered the Apache reservation. It actually kind of reminds me of the Indian reservation near where I live.
At 11 I stopped to pull off a layer of clothing, this after seeing a fellow cycle tourist pass by on the other side of the road wearing thirst and shorts, and here I was bundled up. It had warmed up, but I suppose I prefer sweating to shivering. The sun was warm but the wind cold.
I rode into a hilly area of vast emptiness, for 30 km nothing but wilderness around me and cars and massive trucks going by.
I stopped to enjoy some sourdough bread, just to be off the road for a bit.
Thorny (mesquite?) trees grew close to the shoulder of the road threatening to grab at me.
I started seeing prickly pear and, in the distance, the sentinels of the desert, saguaro cactus.
Once I got closer to "civilization" the more trashy it looked along the roadside.
Then I had the slow grind of uphill grades to contend with.
It's getting more uncomfortable to sit on my bike seat, but I'm becoming adept at getting off my butt for several pedal strokes (it's all about balancing the load). In fact I find I can do most things as I ride, apply lip balm, eat snacks, drink water, take photos. It's impractical to always stop for such trivial things.
The city of Globe was a bit of a climb to get into, and my hosts place was perched up even higher (hardest part of my day!)
As there were no WarmShowers in Globe or close enough I had booked my first Airbnb. Apparently I was also my hosts first guest.
Humble Adobe with stunning views.
I suppose it really wasn't much different from being hosted through WarmShowers (except that I was paying for the privilege to stay).
Bill showed me around and offered to go to the grocery store to pick up what I might need.
I can always make do with what I've got, but I was craving plain yogurt and fresh fruit.
One single Apple (granted, it was organic) cost me $3.50 cdn! I had better enjoy that apple!
Had a spectacular view of the sunset that evening!
And a real bed to sleep in again!
--
- Eritia


No comments:
Post a Comment