The ride out of Payson was pretty sweet with the downhill grade, but even though I had some serious elevation to loose before I made it to Mesa, there was some serious climbs involved as well.
It was divided Hwy pretty much all the way. I stopped for a pee break about 35 Km's into my ride and that's when I noticed an empty pocket in the rear of my panniers. Not good. It was where I kept my tool pouch. I was devastated. And it made me feel very vulnerable. Usually I have my tool pouch mounted under my seat but I couldn't with my water bottle holders there. It was brand new too, the pouch :(
There was no way to go back to look for it so I had to let go.
Now if I were to get a flat tire I'd be unable to fix it. No tire levers, no multi tool, no patch kit. I still had an extra spare tube and my pump, so I just prayed God would be gracious and keep my tires from harm. I cringed every time I saw and went over glass, which there seemed to be a lot of.
I had to realize my security, my hope doesn't lie in having things. That things are just things. Useful yes, but not an ultimate place to rest ones trust or hope.
It can be replaced.
Once again glad to have my music for those slow uphill grinds, but the cars rushing by started driving me crazy.
I could see rain up in the mountains. I put my rain coat on, more for warmth than for fear of rain. It did rain ever so lightly, but nothing to worry about.
There were some pretty sweet downhill grades to compensate for the uphill grinds. The landscape was awe inspiring. Somethings can't fully be captured with a camera, so I try to soak it in and enjoy it in the moment.
The sun came out and with it came some added warmth.
I was glad to come to Bush Hwy. They repaved a good section of it since the last time I rode it. Saw a few other cyclists out for their pleasure rides.
I was doing well with estimated time, debated stopping at a coffee shop for a break but it was a busy Sunday afternoon.
I had WarmShower hosts expecting me. Steve had recently signed on to WarmShowers, since he himself was a touring cyclist. I was his and Carla's first guest (which always feels kinda special :)
I felt the weariness settle upon me then.
It was so nice to have a real shower again. To get my growing pile of laundry done. To dry out the tent.
Steve had been kind enough to ask if I was craving anything food wise, I mentioned how I really wanted to make baked home fries again, so it was great to have a bag of potatoes waiting and to help in the kitchen.
Carla had a bad migraine and was unable to join us for supper.
It was great talking about biking with Steve though. He's ridden the Pacific Coast trail.
They had the coolest decor in their house, old bike wheels painted in bright colours and put up on the high walls, love it!
Had a good night but had no opportunity to sleep in since it was the start of a work week and my hosts had requested I be on the road by 8 am.
One last ride before it's time to pack it in...
--
- Eritia
No comments:
Post a Comment