Figured I'd try to be ready by around 10.
Nema, Phil's pretty Filipino girlfriend, offered to make me some eggs for breakfast, which was lovely.
I had a shorter riding day ahead of me, but one with some serious climbing.
It was sunny out and the sun felt good. I layered up well and was on the road, thankful for Phils route advice to get me out of the city.
I could see the mountains looming in the distance, which can be a bit daunting, especially when I think of having to get over them. They look so big from the base of them!
Funny that the song based on psalm 121 should play, reminding me when I lift my eyes to the mountains, that my help comes from the Lord.
My legs were still a bit sore from the day before.
The climb was steeper on average to the ones I did the day before, but I just went into my easy gear and kept plugging away at it.
It was so good to see the sun, to be out there feeling, being a part of the natural surroundings in a way one can't when driving.
The road twisted and curved up the mountainside. I felt a strange feeling of having been here before. Perhaps one mountain climb begins to resemble another after a certain point.
I found it hard to eat or drink because of the elevation (and of course I don't want to stop to do such menial activities ;) every time I'd take a drink I'd feel the loss of oxygen to my muscles for having stopped breathing for a few seconds to swallow water. Crazy!
I grew colder and colder with the wind. Could see snow just a bit higher up.
Saw a whole group of 7 deer on the mountainside, they were frightened by me (or by my music?)
And then I say a sign reading 7203 feet elevation. Summit.
If I had been smart I would've put some warmer clothes, or at least my windbreaker jacket on before the decent because wow, it was finger numbing blasting down the road.
Stopped only once to take a photo. Feel a bit sad I didn't stop at the viewpoint area, but I was on a serious roll! And besides I had been there two years ago, as an off day trip, visiting Jerome and climbing the mountain I was now descending.
Then I was into town. It was thronging with tourists. I felt chilled to the bone by then.
I sometimes feel kinda anti-tourist, and there were just so many of them in the old ghost mining town of Jerome.
I made one stop, one I had been thinking of for days, the fudge shop. I had stopped there before and so made it a tradition :)
Pumpkin pie spice fudge and marshmallow chocolate seemed to jump out as I scanned the large selection.
There wasn't anywhere warm or in the sun to sit so I continued down the hill to where there was a park bench.
Sugar high!
From there I continued the bitter cold decent into Cottonwood and then headed over to Cornville where I would be staying. Peter and Gene hosted me two years ago and we've kept in touch. It felt good to be somewhere that felt familiar with people who are comfortable to be around. I was so happy to get warmed up, showered. Will be hanging out here for an extra day :)
--
- Eritia
No comments:
Post a Comment