After breakfast I went with Randy in the jeep to Wickenburg where we met up with Phyllis (they had appointments in town).
I got to spend some time learning more about the history of the western town. They got me into the museum/art gallery for free since they were members.
There was an exhibit of the history of saddles with half sized replicas.
Then there was an exhibit of Maynord Dixons artwork, which captured life in the desert in simple bold ways. It was interesting learning more about this local artists story.
From there there were many western themed bronze sculptures, mostly horses as well as work by other artists. Always inspiring to see the work of other artists.
The actual museum area was very well displayed and informative as well and I enjoyed wandering around it.
After about an hour we regrouped for lunch at "The Local Press" sandwich shop, where they had a really great selection of grilled (pressed :) sandwiches.
From there we drove down to one of the local arenas where there was team roping going on. Apparently it's what Wickenburg is known for, the team roping capital of the world.
A calf is released and two riders chase after it, one roping the head the other the two hind legs with their lasso. It takes real skill! Apparently these activities happen everyday from November till April!
I enjoyed being around the horses and riders, glad I had an opportunity to do something different on my day off.
The day grew warm with the bright sun.
One last stop, to get local homemade ice cream! I tried the prickly pear and wrangler flavours, since they seemed unique and interesting.
It was 3 pm by the time we got back to the airport community, and I was wiped out! I took a bit of a nap to recharge.
Later Randy showed me their glider plane, even letting me go into the cockpit! It was so sleek and aero, and there was hardly any room in the cockpit! Super cool though!
We made pizza for supper and afterwards played a great game of Rummikub! It was a good day :)
--
- Eritia


No comments:
Post a Comment