Bill took me out for breakfast at Birt's Bistro, where I had pancakes, eggs and potatoes.
I felt pretty spoiled.
Before I headed out Bill gave me a whole bunch of fresh fruit (apples, mandarins, bananas) as well as a big bag of pecans from his farm back in Kansas. (Perfect timing as I just finished my trail mix stash).
It's amazing to be blessed on my way by hosts!
The morning was a touch cool but sunny and it quickly warmed up and I was down to shorts and tshirt.
Hwy 60 out of Phoenix was busy, lots of traffic. It felt like I had a tailwind though and I was feeling good and made good time. Before I knew it I was 50 kms into my ride, at Wickenburg. I made a point of looking for someplace to stop and saw a nice park area over to the left so I pulled on over.
Wickenburg is a real cowboy town, proud of being renowned for team roping (western riding), so the decor of the town included some pretty awesome life size statues of cowboys and horses. I had a lunch of fruit, nuts and cookies and spent some time journaling.
Then I headed out towards the West, where Hwy 60 was quieter and nicer to be riding along.
Had a headwind, but it didn't really bother me too much, I just put on some music with a beat and soaked up the sunshine. Saw some flowers blooming along the roadside.
Passed a couple walking with all their belongs in strollers that they pushed, guess this walking through America is a more common thing...
I stopped at the library in Aguila where I locked up my bike and went in for some wifi so I could call my host to let her know I was in town and to get more instructions as to how to get to her place.
Turns out 78 year old Phyllis lives in a gated airport community, as in, the residents have their own personal airplanes in hangers on their property and just taxi down the road to the big airstrip running through the middle of the complex! I was rather in awe, it was just so cool!
Phyllis and her husband Randy were very welcoming and kind. I feel very glad I opted to call them when they didn't respond to email because honestly, there's really not much else around!
The sunset was spectacular and from their front porch it was like a painting changing in its beauty and depth.
We had a candlelight dinner of chicken, rice and vegetables, with locally made Peach pie for dessert.
Mmmm. Tomorrow I hope to get an early start, hoping to be in California by the afternoon...
--
- Eritia
No comments:
Post a Comment