Trish fed me a really good breakfast (Apple, big bowl of hot breakfast cereal, two pieces toast and a hard boiled egg), then I got my things together and said my farewells. Left at 9:25 am and rode out into the beautiful morning.
The first 70 km was on Hwy 90, and if I wasn't cycling up a rolling hill I was cruising down the other side. Thing about that was that I got really warm going up but would become chilled going down. Hard to keep zipping up the vest and then zipping it down.
The sun shone bright and the sky was cloudless and vast. The wind blew in cold from the North West.
Trish had sent along four Mandarin oranges that I enjoyed interspersing with the regular energy bars.
Passed a large Copper mine. Apparently Silver City area focuses on mining copper instead of silver these days.
Passed the Contental Divide.
Then it was onto Hwy 70, bound for Duncan, Arizona. Into the headwind. Slow going.
It was the flattest most unexciting stretch of road that went on and on for something like 35 Km's.
I put my music on, allowing the inspirational music and worship songs help me focus on something other than the uneventful unchanging landscape.
The side of the road was littered with empty beer bottles (so much for not drinking and driving!) It made me sad to see how people trash the world.
Saw a road runner dash across the road, and later a rabbit with big ears dart through the underbrush. I can see why Bugs Bunny originated in this area!
I found myself enjoying the diversity of eating beef jerky, the salty fatty protein source.
I was just getting started on listening (or trying to what with the wind) to an audiobook when I saw something in the distance. I couldn't make out what I was for awhile, but it turned out to be a weathered old man walking with a little dog and pulling a cart of belongings.
I stopped a minute to talk. He must've been lonely walking miles and miles by himself because he was talkative.
Told me he was 60, name was Chris (his dogs, Little Dirty), that he'd been on the road for 9 months walking.
I asked to take his picture, he said a lot of people did, but seemed flattered and proceeded to change his hat. Told me a bit about the road ahead. After a good while I said my goodbyes and headed back into the wind to put in the last 25 km for the day, except I thought it was only 15 more. I grew increasingly weary of the road and the continual wind that made even the downhill grade seem a struggle.
It seemed like I'd never reach the small town of Duncan, but I did (amazing what persevere will do!) 125 Km's later.
There was a WarmShowers host there, owner of The Simpson Hotel, who had a small (old) teardrop camping trailer out back that I could use.
I was allowed to shower inside and use the guest wifi.
It was a place with a lot of character.
I had the option of going to a cafe for supper (Humble Pie being the name of one) or making use of the supper provisions I had along. I chose the later because I could, because it was cheaper, and because it would lighten my load a little more.
So I made Lipton Chicken noodle soup with some dehydrated mashed potatoes to help thicken it to a more stewy consistency.
Dessert was lemon curd (that Beth had sent along) straight out of the jar.
There was another cyclist staying at the hotel as well (he had opted for the comfort of a room). He wanted to talk, swap stories and experiences. He, David, was an older guy (old enough to be my dad), who was on his first bike trip. He was traveling Westward as I was. Used a trailer instead of panniers ( bike bags).
The night was cold (it got down to 3 C), but my new sleeping bag proved its worth by keeping me nice and warm all night!
--
- Eritia
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete