Ty helped me figure out a route which I wrote a "cheat sheet" for, giving me cues when to turn etc.
We were able to route in 3 different canal paths so I could avoid the busy streets when I could, which was easier to deal with mentally.
I was able to leave behind a few things I didn't need per say, since my ride will end at Ty's house in a few weeks anyways.
He made sure I had lots of food along (including bananas, apple, and Stroopwafels that we found at a local grocery store:)
He had a bit of time before heading to work so he rode out with me for the first 38 minutes of my ride.
The day was sunny and it quickly grew warm (22 C).
I failed to put sunscreen on my legs and since the sun was mostly to my left I burned that side of my leg. I'm going to have to be a bit less lazy on the sunscreen application front.
Some areas were nicer than others, as with most cities.
Near the downtown it was rather trashy along the canal so I didn't stop except to wait for traffic so I could cross roads.
At one point my directions weren't precise enough and I realized I needed to get myself back on track. That's when I realized I hadn't bothered ensuring I had maps at the ready on my iPad. All I had was the Garmin, but it was an extremely useful tool. I typically don't ask it to tell me how to get to a specific address because it takes way too much battery power, instead I'll have it show me the address on a map so I can get a gist of which direction I need to be going in. City biking can just get so... Complicated and confusing. I prefer the simple straightforward country roads!
City cycling has the added challenge of actually looking for legitimate washrooms, so I utilized two park washroom facilities during the day (in the nicer parts of town). If I can I take the whole bike into the washroom with me rather than lock it up and remove all valuables.
Sun City is a huge community for retired folks, snowbirds and suchlike. On the road I found myself passed by multiple golf carts. (Apparently there are over 100 clubhouses and 7 golf courses in the Sun City community not to mention all the other amenities!)
I stayed with a retired Kansas man named Bill.
He had a beautiful house with gorgeous pottery that his late wife had made.
He even had Kombucha in his fridge to offer! I have missed my Kombucha that I brew on a regular basis.
The ride I had thought would be about 90 km turned out to be 108 km! Seems that way every time. I just have to let it be what it is and not get uptight about it.
Bill, saying he wasn't a good cook, insisted on taking me out to dinner, even let me choose the kind. I opted for Thai. As we talked I discovered we share the faith. It was so good to have him pray to bless the food.
Had a lovely evening and a great nights sleep :)
--
- Eritia

No comments:
Post a Comment