Wednesday, February 15, 2017

A day of exploration and reflection

Mission San Luis Rey
A half hour ride from my hosts house (where I left my stuff).
I went here in hopes of being able to have a quiet retreat, but it was not to be. They had a school group coming. It was very historic, so I went through their museum and looked around. It was almost too touristy though. After two hours I headed over, via bike path, to Prince of Peace Abby.
It was way up on a hill. I arrived just too late to join mass, but I'm not Roman Catholic so I was okay with that. Benedictine monastery vs the Franciscan Mission.
They had a lovely natural area on the hilltop where they had set up the stations of the cross, so I took time to walk it.
It was sunny out with a hit of a cool breeze from the coast which I could see faintly in the distance.
I had been able to make myself a few sandwiches for lunch which I sat to eat.
Spent some time quietly sitting and journaling.
Apparently 50 abbots were visiting which was why the retreat Center was closed to the public.
The I went into the church to sit in silence for an hour.
It was far easier to sit in their church than the one at the mission because it wasn't a historic place to see, just a beautiful quiet place to reflect, to pray.
After 3 hours at the Abby I headed out, cycling along the path to the coast. It's so beautiful by the water, seeing and hearing waves crash.
By then it was mid afternoon. Headed back to the Stuart's house. They had given me the key so I could get back in.
I haven't been so successful in planning my next few nights, let alone week of travel. There's rain in the forecast which I don't really know what to do about, but don't particularly want to be out biking in!
It being Valentine's Day, we had a really good supper starting with triple cream Brie on baguette (super rich and tasty!)
Steve BBQ'd up prime steak wrapped in bacon while Erin made mashed potatoes, sautéed mushrooms and green beans. I'm lucky if I eat steak once a year, so it was a real treat!
My hosts are so good to me. It's lovely to feel included.
Wednesday its on the road again, but my upcoming hosts aren't going to be till late so I have to find creative ways to kill time, or just leave later in the day... Heading back Eastward!
--
- Eritia

No comments:

Post a Comment