Slept surprisingly well in my tent and woke with the morning sun, which feels earlier now that I'm Pacific time zone.
I had an apple, manderin orange and pecans for breakfast and knew I had to get going once the other campers were up and making their own delectable smelling breakfasts.
I packed up to go, figuring the earlier I left the quieter the roads. Besides that there was no "potable"(drinkable) water at the camp so I had to make do with what I still had in my bottles, another reason earlier is better. Left at about 7:45 am.
It felt like it was going to be a great day! God's mercies are new every morning.
The ride was up through canyons and then over to the mountains.
The roads were wet from a recent rain (glad I missed that!) and the coolness of morning lingered.
It was far more lush and green by the mountain, and very peaceful (minus the jeeps, trucks and cars going by from time to time).
The road climbed gradually up 2-8% grade. It was slow but it felt like I had a bit of tailwind, and because it was so scenic I didn't mind much. My rear end was feeling it though. Had some great praise and worship music going to inspire me on.
The host I was going to be staying at had suggested Mom's Pie place, but it seemed every little cafe boasted of pie. Finally spotted Mom's and stopped.
It felt so strange being in civilization after the miles of desert and nothingness.
I ordered pecan pie and hot apple cider to warm me up. It was cold up there! 8 C ( not that I should complain ;)
My sweat chilled so I put on another layer as I sat to use Wifi and figure out the final part of my days ride.
By the time I was ready to roll I felt really chilled. Took off some sweaty layers and put my raincoat on as a windbreaker so I'd be warm enough for the descent.
Glad I did that.
I was in a very good mood, feeling more lighthearted now that the longest hardest riding was done. It's been a long week!
The roads were really busy with weekend tourists. So maybe my timing was a little off??
Kinda just have to go with things as they are, make the most of what I have been given, know that different isn't necessarily better.
And the other side of the mountain had a very different feel to it. More rolling hilly, farmland, more houses and businesses.
As I descended the air temperature grew warmer and I had to peel off layers.
Then I neared Poway. I never realized the San Diego area was so hilly! It's amazing. It's crazy but cool. I'm thinking cyclists here have to be pretty fit to deal with all the ups and downs!
I made such good time I figured I'd stop some where to kill time and get some journaling/reflection time in (as it can be hard to get when hosted, depending on the host of course!) so nice sitting in the sun and out of the wind.
Then I made my way to Carl and Ellen's house. Really sweet retired couple who are avid hikers (150 miles in a year is nothing to sneeze at!)
Showered, ate a tuna sandwich (real food at last!), uploaded my cycling activities from the last four days of riding onto Strava, did my laundry and chatted with my hosts.
We went out for supper. Thai food, their choice, but I was totally cool with it as I rather like it.
Nothing quite like eating when one has worked up an appetite!
Monday I hope to ride to the coast!
--
- Eritia





No comments:
Post a Comment