Tuesday, February 14, 2017

To the California coast

It was so lovely being at Carl and Ellen's home, they were just so relaxed, not trying to entertain me. Sometimes that's what good hosting feels like, just having someone open their home and sharing everyday life, meals, casual conversation.
Carl offered to ride out with me, which I greatly appreciated since he knows the area and I don't, it just makes for easy riding not having to think about where I need to go next.
It was indeed pretty much all down hill to get to Del Mar and the coast, most of it along a bike trail.
Still amazed at all the flowers and greenery.
It seems a bit surreal that I am actually here, in San Diego!
Saw so many cyclists out riding, was certainly a great day for it!
At Del Mar Carl turned around and I continued riding along the coast.
It was a big foggy by the water as warm air and cold water met.
I found a bench along a beach strip to sit at for a time to journal and be present where I'm at.
There were surfers out trying to catch the waves.
I actually had hours to kill and only about 48 Km's of riding to do.
It's a strange thing to go from riding so much it consumes life, to just being, it's like I forget how to rest.
I'm not proud to say I went to McDonald's for lunch, but they are inexpensive. I had hopes of getting wifi but for some reason they didn't have it, so I sat to read only to have a local come over to talk my ear off which was draining.
Continued on and found another bench overlooking the beach strip where I could sit. It was really nice being out there, hearing the waves, reading, relaxing.
At 4:30 pm I went to find my hosts house.
It can be a bit scary going to meet people I've never met before and only know as much about as they share, especially when it's for more than one night (which I arranged for it to be...), but I was put at ease as soon as I met Erin and her daughter Aquila. They were super nice and normal :)
It was good. 
Erin made a delicious pasta with chicken and a lemon caper sauce using lemons from the trees in her front yard.
Tuesday I hope to have a quiet retreat day. I had initially hoped to do ab overnight retreat at the Prince of Peace Abby, a Benedictine Monastery, but apparently their retreat Center is closed at this time, which made me very sad. 
I will try to make the most of things...
Either way it'll be a good rest day.
--
- Eritia

No comments:

Post a Comment