Friday, February 17, 2017

Over the mountains to Palm Desert

In some ways it's hard staying with busy working people, mainly because I feel somewhat distant from that reality and perhaps a part of me feels guilty about living, at the moment, like a snowbird.
I'm thankful Kelly made it work and didn't let her busy life hinder her from opening her home for me to stay. It means so much!
She was so kind. She even gave me a bag of tasty Lara bar bites, which was super yum, helped curb my chocolate craving. Her 5 year old daughter loved meeting my little travel buddy, Puji.
By 8:30 am I was on the road again.
It was a beautiful morning!
The road (79) was rather busy and there wasn't much room to ride. This is when hearing cars go over the center rumble is sweet indeed, it means they're giving me space (acknowledging I exist:)
I got lost in thought and played my music as the road continued to gradually rise up before me.
The uphill grade just never seemed to let up, but I'd still take it over wind!
It was beautiful seeing the landscape, the views as I got higher and higher.
Things were pretty green and alive.
Near the halfway mark at Anza I briefly pulled over to eat, take some ibuprofen (vitamin I), and make some electrolyte drink with a Nuun tablet.
It was downright nippy up in the higher elevations! But of course it didn't help I was all sweaty from the climbing.
Must've had a bit of a tailwind, which was very welcome. I couldn't help but marvel at the beauty and diversity of this God made world.
The climbing went on awhile longer and then I got to the crossroads, the one with the cafe I had considered stopping at. It looked like a busy place and I didn't really feel like stopping and getting chilled and stiff, so I rode on, stopping briefly to add some extra layers so I wouldn't be frozen on the way down the mountain.
At one point I passed a box of pita breads that looked like it had tumbled out of a truck whipping around a curve, the fact that it looked untouched made me think it was recent, and I started feeling hungry, but I had some good momentum going so I kept rolling.
Finally stopped at a sweet overview area with Palm Desert in the distance below. Hard earned view.
Asked an older gentleman to take my photo. He wondered if I had enough brake power for a hill this size. Brakes? I don't ride my brakes, I look ahead, I anticipate curves, I allow gravity to propel me, and it was steep enough I could ride near 50 km/ hr with no effort (payback for all the slow grind of previous hours). Don't worry, I stay safe :) 
People seem impressed by what I'm doing, but perhaps it's because they wouldn't dream of doing something like this themselves. 
After cruising downhill for sometime I was back in civilization again and found a Starbucks to sit at and catch some wifi before checking in at the Airbnb.
Sometimes it's hard to just sit and do my own thing without some talkative older guy coming to talk about his travels. Sigh.
Turns out the one WarmShowers host I had contacted had tried sending me an email, but I never got it.. (I had texted in one last attempt...) but it was too late to cancel the Airbnb, but for Friday night I have a place. Grace.
I can't say I was particularly keen on going to the Airbnb, but in the end I got upgraded from a room in main house to my own private casita (apartment), since it was paid for, the guests having left early. Bonus! Super nice. Made myself at home, even cooking up some pasta and eggs that were there for the taking.
Discovered the local library was a 10 minute walk away and went there to use the computers so I could upload activities from Garmin and check elevation on future rides. Had to sign up to get a card, but it was worth it.
They had cheap paperback books and I couldn't resist buying a few classics (guess it runs in the family, this compulsion to buying books:). I will ditch the other book I bought earlier since I never did get into it.
--
- Eritia

No comments:

Post a Comment