Sunday, February 19, 2017

Rainy Day Ride back to Brawley

The rain was more like a light drizzle when I left Sarah and Jordan's place at 9 am. I'm not sure I see myself as being brave to face the elements. At what point is brave really crazy?
I used my waterproof shoe covers, which kept my feet dry all day, glad I had them along! Was glad I had different lenses along for my sunglasses so I could protect my eyes from the rain.
It was about 12 C, so not bad, as long as I kept moving and didn't let my sweat get chilled.
The whole world looks like a different place without the sunshine.
I'll admit it really was fun being out riding in the rain, because once you start getting wet or dirty, who cares? Bring it on!
I had a long ride ahead (turned out to be143 km), but a very flat one, along the 111 next to the Salton Sea.
Rode by a lot of Date Palm groves. Guess everything comes from somewhere! 
I made good time, happy there was no wind or elevation to hinder my progress. It was nice having familiar worship songs to ride to, to help stimulate my thoughts in positive things.
I reached the small town of Niland 4 1/4 hours and 100 Km's later and turned off to do a tourist detour.
If you've ever watched "Into the Wild", you might recall when 'Alexander Supertramp' goes to Slab City and goes to 'Salvation Mountain'... Well, I was going to the mountain.
The road was in rough shape and quite muddy but I was determined to do this one touristy thing. All in all it only added an extra 10 Km's to my days ride.
Slab City is considered "the last free place on earth", where off the grid living is the norm, where hippies abound, where life is simple.
Salvation Mountain is more of a giant art piece than a mountain. It's created by a man who wanted to get the message across that "God is love", created with Adobe and paint. 
Can't help but wonder if people see but don't really care for the message, that it's just one mans artistic outlet...
It's really quite impressive! I wished I could've had more time to look around, walk through it, but the continuing rain and the fact that I was getting cold compelled me to take some pictures, eat some bread and be on my way.
I'm glad I went, it added a spark of interest to my day.
The other highlight of my day was coming across another Dollar General store. I had lost hope I'd see one on my travels, and it felt like seeing a familiar friend, because there are certain things they sell that I rather like, including $2 bags of trail mix. I've been going through a lot of trail mix so it was great to stop and restock in Calipatria.
Then onward, back to Brawley, where I was 8 days ago.
I had booked the same cheap Airbnb I had stayed at before as there really weren't any better options.
Had to locate the hidden house key and then I was good to go.
I was wet and dirty and my bike was disgusting, so I was glad to have a place where I could take a warm shower and get my bike and gear properly cleaned up. Threw a load of laundry in right away.
It was my first time cleaning my bike from top to bottom. Found some rags to use and got it clean, chain regreased.
Made soup and buns for supper.
It was a good day :)

--
- Eritia

No comments:

Post a Comment