Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Day 23: High River to Claresholm

Definitely wasn't as quiet as the night before! But it felt so odd to all of a sudden not have to worry about my food keeping it from the bears! Welcome to the prairie! 
The lady tenting next to me asked if she could pray for me, which I thought quite bold of her. But how welcome that was! I've been feeling a bit like a lone ranger Christian.  She spoke of how the Lord goes before me, behind me and places His hand of blessing on my head (see ps 139).  That verse has definitely been rattling around my head and has given me immeasurable comfort these last weeks.
I headed out around 8am, the day already growing warm.
It was gently rolling but mostly flat riding. Went by fields of canola and wheat, hay and cattle grazing. 
I should know better than to trust Google's directions...because, in trying to avoid the busy Hwy I inadvertently ended up on gravel roads.
Going back never feels like a very viable option. So I pressed on. If it had been straight and flat it wouldn't have been so bad but alas.
I very nearly wiped out in the gravel (but for the grace of God!). Twice. And let me tell you, that would've been painful! But I didn't go down.
My muscles were tense from trying to balance the bike and push on. I was so incredibly relieved to reach pavement after a, seemingly never ending, stretch. Hwy didn't seem so bad after the gravel experience! I was just thankful there weren't many cars on the gravel stretch so I could take the best path, which was typically the middle of the road!
I made it to Claresholm before noon, found the park where camping was available and then went over to Dairy Queen. I was hot and tired. I just ordered a slushie drink (though after reading more of what they offered I probably would've gotten other things...) refreshing though. I ate trailmix and read my new book then went to the park.
I was able to settle in, got wet and cool at the impressive splash pad, took a shower. It felt glorious having the whole afternoon to relax, journal, read, do a painting. Maybe a part of me also wished I'd made more time to relax earlier on in my trip. But it is what it is. Cycling gives my days a sense of purpose.
Tomorrow on to Lethbridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment