As nice as it was to have my own motel room I found it hard to get a good nights sleep, anxious about the big climb. It was to be the biggest ride of my trip and since there was literally nothing between Hope and Merritt TO stop at I had a 120 km ahead of me. Fear of this day compelled me to train hard and put in some crazy elevation training rides. I should've felt confident, but after hearing so many people talk about it and make a huge deal of it, well, that and my leg/pain issues I was intimidated. I briefly considered not going... but after years of experience I've learned that: Fear is so often worse than the thing feared. (So wait to worry!)
So I was up early and after a good breakfast put my things together to ride, rain or shine. 6 am I rolled out.
Beautiful foggy morning, clouds hanging about the mountain tops.
I could feel the slight uphill grade right away and figured I'd better get used to it.
Lots of Construction going on which was great in some places and terrible in others, depending on whether I had a shoulder to ride on.
It was really pretty with all the mountains majestically rising up all around me.
I put my earbuds in and after listening to Tim Keller I had praise and worship music encouraging me the rest of the time.
Hill #1 was okay. 5% grade, sun shining, gorgeous views.
Hill #2 started out okay but got to be a real grind, at 9%, even the trucks were struggling. I've never been more thankful for my granny gear!
It was around 15 C, and I was sweating.
Once I got to summit I put my wind vest on so I wouldn't get chilled with my cold sweaty clothing on the downhills.
More spectacular views. My cellphone photo taking skills while riding are improving with practice.
I absolutely love hearing the song birds here in BC, they make my heart sing!
I made sure, knowing I was burning a ton of calories, to keep up with eating and drinking regardless of whether I felt like it. Last thing I needed was to bonk and not be able to finish what I started!
I can be such a goal oriented person, but that's not a bad thing as long as I don't forget to take time to enjoy the journey as well!
As for my leg, my knees, the pain, well, apart from some painful twinges in my left knee occasionally I felt much better than I had the last couple days! It was "Grace my fears relieved".
After the two major hills there were smaller ones but I just plugged away at them.
I thought I might have avoided the rain, but no... and when it came down it really came down. And this about 24 km from my hosts. My wind jacket was little protection against the onslaught. I got absolutely drenched. Super thankful for waterproof panniers so at least my gear/clothes stayed dry!
Towards the end I could feel a chill setting in.
It was 1pm when I rolled up to my hosts house. I wasn't sure what to expect as they'd mentioned me camping in their yard and that I was on my own for food. But turns out they were super kind and welcomed me warmly and were quick to point the way to the shower (showers after cycling feel absolutely amazing and refreshing!). I was able to do a load of laundry and was given a comfy mattress on the floor so I wouldn't have ro worry about setting up my tent.
I felt so depleted. I just sat and ate. And ate. And ate some more.
Feeling incredibly thankful to God for giving me strength for today.
The sun came out and a stiff breeze, so I was able to hang my laundry out and it whipped itself dry in no time!
I stretched, jouralled and painted and then walked a short ways to the No Frills to get a few groceries and the Tim Horton's for a sandwich.
Really tired but hopefully I sleep soundly. Tomorrow I'm bound for Kamloops!
No comments:
Post a Comment