It was great sleeping in a bed again, and I slept well. Strength for today was granted me. The sleep had refreshed me. New mercies each morning.
I had a long ride ahead of me.
As I had heard nothing from the guy who initially said he'd host me (be it only couch or floor), and there being no other hosts available, I looked into alternatives.
There were a couple Hostels in town so I booked a bunk in one, which gave me peace of mind. I find it hard to go somewhere and not know where I'll stay.
I made myself up a bowl of granola with banana for breakfast and set out just before 9 am.
I was crossing the time zone and loosing an hour going into Alberta.
The first part was gently rolling, then I got into some climbing.
It was beautiful to see Mount Robson in the distance. I kept starting at it in awe as I rode.
I passed by rushing creeks and raging rivers of a cold and clean mountain runoff.
The temperatures rose steadily throughout the day.
I made sure to keep eating and drinking so I'd be able to survive the 6~hours on the road.
When the winds picked up I had a mix of head, tail and cross winds to contend with.
The time passed and each pedal stroke brought me closer to my destination.
Good thing my host had mentioned having to PAY to ride in the National Park (Jasper and the icefields pkwy are in it). They charged per night.
I got really low on water and wished I'd filled my extra bottle, but it wasn't too much further. My Garmin read that it was over 35 C. It sure felt it. By then it was almost 4pm (3pm BC time)
I was glad when I pulled into the HiJasper Hostel. They had a secure room I could store my bike in overnight.
First thing I did was shower. Sometimes it feels like the best part of the day when I'm out bike touring.
I sat for a bit to snack on trailmix and drink lots of water before walking to town to buy groceries at the small town grocery store.
It was tourist central! So many people and all sorts of neat stores lined the streets.
I got easy breakfast and supper foods trying not to be overly concerned at the prices. Food is fuel. It's the gas that keeps me going.
So glad I'm staying at the Hostel tonight! It's got pretty awesome vibes! A lot of active and outdoorsy people there. And a bunk to sleep in with bedding provided (room with 4 gals).
I'll likely be camping tomorrow again, along the icefields pkwy.
No comments:
Post a Comment