Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Day 17: Jasper to the Icefields

I have a feeling my night yesterday and today will be polar opposite. It was very warm (3rd floor no AC) in the hostel...
Tonight I'm camping near snow covered glaciers so it could go down to around 5°C.
But I'm getting ahead of myself. 
I enjoyed my yogurt, muesli and banana breakfast while I painted a scene from yesterday's ride. It poured rain outside and I was glad there was no rush to leave.
Last thing I needed was to get soaked to the skin.
So I was rather trepidatious with all the dark clouds looming.
The sun would peek through and what came to mind was "The Lord bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you and give you peace.".. and it felt so comforting and reassuring. 
It was actually pretty amazing, to see rain coming down in the distance ahead but as I approached the clouds would break and sun would shine down on me, blessing me and giving me peace. 
My body felt pretty fatigued but I was resolved to persevere. 
It was so beautiful. And there were no big trucks roaring by.  I had  a no music day, just filling myself with the surroundings. 
I made sure to stop to snack and take pictures. 
I was nearly at 100 kms when the road started climbing, and climbing and climbing! Didn't really expect that. Some stunning views along the way though! So I sweat hard going up and shivered as I rushed down the other side.
The icefields were cold and cruel looking.
I began to wonder whose great idea it was to go to the "ice" fields when I'm not a big fan of snow or cold.
I found a Campground that was only for tents, no RV's. I felt so wrecked when I got there I almost cried. So so tired.
I managed to pick one of the 33 sites available, incredibly grateful there were still sites available at the "first come, first serve" campground. 
No showers though, so I did my best to clean up and get into dry warm clothing.
I got my tent set up and ate. They even had lockers to keep food in overnight  so the wildlife doesn't get into it.
This is when having data on my phone is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment