Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Day 21; Canmore through Kananaskis country

I didn't really have to go to Calgary...and maybe I wasn't ready to say goodbye to the mountains. So I opted for the quieter, more scenic route. This wasn't an easy decision because it meant a lot more being on my own and camping. And yet, I realize too how I don't thrive in cities, so maybe it's just as well I avoid the busyness and enjoy the incredible nature around me.
Had a chance to clean and re-lube my chain. Nothing I can do about my creaky right pedal.
I was finally packed up and ready to ride at 10:30 am, havjng crammed all the food I'd bought into my already full panniers.
Then onward!
Mix of sun and cloud, and thankfully cooler than the previous few days.
Once I got onto Hwy 40 and into Kaninaskis country the views were indeed stunning!
I saw mountain sheep a couple times. 
The climb up to Highwood summit (which is apparently the highest paved road in Canada!) was slow and arduous. But I pushed on knowing it wouldn't last forever and that there would be a descent on the other side.
It ended up being quite a long and hard ride. Certainly the longest of my trip thus far (@134km and almost 7 hrs of riding)!
My destination was Strawberry Equestrian Camp, wasn't too much else around in the way of camping. 
It was very quiet. Only one RV.
I was really tired but felt better getting out of my cycling clothes and putting food in my belly! Set up my tent and would've enjoyed being out in nature had the mosquitos not been so numerous and persistent (even when I was covered in bug spray!)
I was grateful Kirsten had sent along some water purifying capsules because there was no drinkable water at the campground. It was so quiet there.

No comments:

Post a Comment