Friday, July 8, 2022

Day 12: Merritt to Kamloops

Slept well enough, was so pretty tired after all was done.
Woke around 7:30am and was given free reign to make breakfast, so I toasted bread, cooked up a couple eggs and had that, along with a cup of herbal tea. 
I lingered awhile, not in any rush. Had some good conversation with my hosts and got my gear packed to go.
I rolled out at 9:30 am. I'd cleaned my bike and re-lubed my chain but I could hear some noise that told me the rain must've done something inside...maybe stripped some bearings of grease or something. Great.
The road I took was the scenic way, Hwy 5a and it took me all the way to Kamloops. It offered gorgeous views that had me wanting to soak it in and take as many photos as I could.
I took it easy and was incredibly blessed by a tailwind pushing me along as I rode. Exactly what I needed.
The route took me beside lakes and through valleys. I didn't even bother pedaling on the downhills. Was a gorgeous day with comfortably warm temperatures.
As I neared Kamloops there was a nasty hill but I plugged away at it little by little and got to the top.
What I didn't realize was how much of a descent it was down into the city of Kamloops! It was awesome! I love a good hill I can rip down! The bike trail was a little trickier to navigate. Just glad I was going down not up those hills! It was 95 kms for the day.
I made good time so I sat and read a bit before heading to my host, a retired university professor. He was no stranger to hosting cyclists, in fact there was another cycle touring staying with him already; James from the UK. 
I had a craving for pizza so I offered to make some for supper since my host had no set plans. He didn't have yeast so I ran over to a nearby grocery store to get some pizza making ingredients.
It was nice being able to give back, to bless as I've been blessed. 
The three of us devoured the entire pizza no problem.  It was SO good. Hit the spot.
Look forward to sleeping in a real bed again tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment