Saturday, July 16, 2022

Day 19: Lake Louise to Canmore

Slept good but I can hear my body telling me I need a rest day, so I just had one more ride before I did exactly that, rest!
I made a chocolate pudding banana and muesli mixture for breakfast (quite tasty).
And who would I meet at the hostel but James, the cyclist I met in Kamloops! Our paths cross again!
Decided, it would be a bit silly to be in Lake Louise without actually seeing the lake...so I stripped all the excess baggage off my bike since I didn't have to check out till later anyways. Then I ride all 200+ m up the 4 kms to the lake. It was around 9:30 am and the place was already crawling with tourists. It's beautiful...but the tourists really detracted from the beauty. I was loaded and ready to head out of the hostel by 10 am. The day was warming up fast.
I rode the 1a down towards Banff. It was a quiet route. Loads of cyclists out riding there! Saw an Elk grazing by the road.
More incredible views...I wonder if it doesn't start to numb me with it's beauty, too much to take in!
My legs complained with every uphill grade. So it was nice to get on the Legacy Trail, which was mostly downhill. 
I even made a point to stop beside a clear lake to soak my feet while I munched on crackers.
Banff was so busy (weekend in the summer!!) So I simply rode through, marvelling at the mountains around the place.
My hosts for the night, Lyle and Kirsten, rode out on their tandem to meet me. Nice not to have to consult my map to figure out exactly where they live but to be led.
What a contrast to the last few days to be welcomed into a lovely home and made feel welcome. To have someone else care about the food prep...to be able to wash all the accumulated laundry (nearly everything I brought needed a wash)!
I'm so glad to be able to stay two nights. 
Another female cyclist, Katie, came as well. She'd jut finished 2 months of riding the Great Divide from down south.
My hosts pulled out the champagne to celebrate her accomplishment! And what an incredible dinner they created for use Tea broiled salmon with rice...cheesecake for dessert...my ever increasing appetite was satisfied again!
I've decided to continue cycling on to Saskatchewan instead of flying there from Calgary.  So I have some route planning/decisions to make.


No comments:

Post a Comment