Sunday, February 21, 2016

To Live Oak, Emo. Day

Saturday February 20
I think it got to feeling like too much,going from no people interaction to non stop. It was lovely being hosted for the night, sleeping in a real bed and having my clothes freshly laundered.
Jim made me an awesome bowl of oatmeal fruit and nut breakfast and insisted on driving me out of the city so I wouldn't have to deal with traffic (as if I am not accustomed to lack of ideal cycling situations by now!)
Not sure why he had to drive me way out, but I felt pretty carsick and frustrated by the time I was let out. It was already past 11am by then!

I was so very ready to be on the road again, just me and my bike. My head hurt. I felt like I had an overdose of being around people and trying to absorb/process information and desperately wanted to just be alone again.
It took about an hour of riding in the quiet roads to bring a sense of calm, of awareness to my beautiful surroundings. It was therapeutic riding in the sunshine. The day grew warm in a hurry and I was soon riding with shorts and jersey and slathering on the sunscreen. I think it got up around 24 C again.
Love seeing the magnolia trees already in blossom here!
There wasn't much to think about regarding route, if I followed Hwy 90 I would end up in the town of Live Oak (you know they're a big deal when they call an entire town after them!)
My original plan had been to cycle to Mayo where there was a campground, but I suppose I let my host talk me out of that.
(What's done is done, living in forward motion!)
I stopped in the little town of Greenville where there was a lovely park with restrooms and picnic tables. There was a monument for Ray Charles, a famous jazz musician.

I sat for a bit before pressing on. It smelled like summer with dry grasses and i heard crickets chirping.
I did a lot of thinking and talking to God as I rode. It was good.
Was pretty emotional today.
Passed a small place that sold veggies and fruit and felt compelled to stop in. That was the best dollar I spent on my trip!  Two bananas, a huge navel orange and a little apple.
My right shoulder has still been causing me much pain, probably from trying to balance things puts a lot of pressure on it. I think for some reason making sure I drink enough water helps it not to hurt as much, good incentive to keep hydrated!
Lots of stinky roadkill along the way (must've passed at least two skunks among other rotting carcasses).
Apparently peanuts are grown in the area because I passed a massive peanut farm.
  By the time I got to Live Oak it was past 4 pm and I figured I should probably look into figuring out where to spend the night. To be honest, I felt more comfortable with the thought of stealth camping out in the quiet countryside than being in the busy city.
I went to the local fire station and asked about a place to stay.
Their policy wouldn't allow me to stay inside their building, so it was suggested I camp across the way near the old train station (oh yeah, another really unfortunate part of this town is that a train runs through it, which means trains honking, likely all night long). I am very thankful that I was able to have a great warm shower in the station and get to feeling human again after being out on the road for hours.
Supper was simple fare, tuna and crackers, peanut butter and jam and my little Apple, with the best peanut trail mix ever for dessert.



No comments:

Post a Comment