Breakfast was served at 6:45 am since our host, John, wanted to make sure we could get out on time to catch the 8 am ferry. I decided I wanted to linger on the island a little longer so I didn't have to rush to pack and be on the road. I also arranged to be at my next hosts later in the afternoon. I was glad I was able to arrange, a bit last minute, to have hosts. The people I initially contacted ahead of time had never gotten back to me, so that left me in a bit of a pinch. It's so hard sometimes to plan ahead.
We had scrambled eggs, ham and toast with jam.
The other cyclist, John, headed out.
I got my things packed and ready to go, and then proceeded to slip and fall down the stairs (woolie socks and slick wooden stairs apparently don't mix!) So a little sore for starting out my day... But I went for a walk on the beach before heading out to catch the 9:30 am ferry. I had time so I went down and explored the skinny Long Island and marvelled at the uniqueness of the place.
Apparently people pay like $3500-4500 a year just for wind insurance on these houses, not to mention water damage insurance!
There was an old fort at the Mobile Bay end, so I went around it.
The whole island is pretty touristy!
The ferry ride was a cold one, as I had no comfy car to sit in for the 1/2~hr ride. There was a cold wind blowing and the waves seemed big, but we made it across,and I was able to get back on the road again. The chilly wind was against me, so I had to fight it all the way. Takes a lot out of a person.
There was just one road to follow, which was nice.
Seems like there is a lot of snow birds (retired folks from other places) who come down this way, this I gathered from looking at license plates as cars drove by. Lots of rental units/houses.
I gave up the idea of going to a church service, the timing just didn't work.
The sun shone, for which I was thankful.
Today was the day I went from Alabama state into the pan handle of Florida.
As I was going along a serious issue arose. My back rack all of a sudden had no skrews left to hold it onto the right side of my rear wheel! They must've slowly been rattling themselves loose until they just popped out! Fortunately I felt of it more as a challenge than a problem. And hey, if worst came to worst I could walk about 5 km back to a bike shop I had passed.
I pulled out my bag of repair stuff and decided to try zip tying. That did the trick, although I think I need to look for a more permanent solution. So thankful for all God gave me the wisdom to take along!
Found a visitor info centre along the way and stopped in, more to use the facilities than for anything else but I also received some valuable tips for planning the route ahead.
Stopped at McDonalds for a break. Discovered they sold bagels and cream cheese! I've been craving bagels lately what with all the carbs my body is burning.
When I hit the road again I felt stiff and tired but still had 35 of the 105 Km's left to ride.
I consoled myself with the fact that tomorrow I would have a rest day.
When I got into Pensacola I couldn't figure out where my hosts house was despite having Google maps and a Garmin. I was at a loss, just so tired and cold. I prayed and God was gracious, just as I went out to go to the nearest McDonalds so I could text my host, I saw a lady looking at me and waving, and it was Donna, my host Rays wife.
They welcomed me in and I was overwhelmed with gratitude.
They cooked me up a pizza, (which was delicious!) and I got to use their hot tub to soak. Oh, that was lovely! Had my own room in the lovely characterful old house which is so tastefully decorated with pretty things.
I learned that, once again I had beaten other cyclists to asking to be hosted. Apparently this is a busy time of year for cycle touring down south!





No comments:
Post a Comment