The Wenninger family provided for all my needs and I was able to get a shower, do my laundry (I have a very limited amount of clothing along so it's crucial I get a chance to do laundry at least every three days!), eat a good supper and rest.
They also generously gave me a replacement toothbrush and toothpaste (I had been meaning to pick some up somewhere, but just didn't end up making time to do so). I just sensed they really wanted to be a blessing.
The bed was most comfortable and it felt like a wonderful luxury to have a pillow to lay my head down on.
I was tired beyond tired and in the morning I wished I could sleep forever, but no.
I was able to linger and try to arrange future hosts since I had wifi and talk with Rich, my host, over breakfast.
I only had a short ride planned for the day, which was totally okay by me because honestly I was still feeling like my tank was empty, so I left at 11 am, after signing their guest book.
A bit of a cooler day again (14 C), but the sun was shining and I was going to Dauphin Island!
I biked by a large wealthy estate named "Promised Land", food for thought as I biked. I suppose some people try to find heaven on earth?
I also biked by the "Odd Fellows Cemetery", which seemed like, well, an interesting name for a cemetery.
There was a bridge over to the island, which was actually super cool to bike over, just water surrounding, churning brownish waves below. Saw a pelican fly past at one point.
The island itself was pretty long and narrow, the houses built up on stilts.
I had half expected my hosts, avid travellers themselves, not to be around (they offered cycling tourists the option of camping beneath their house if they were away),but they said they'd be around!
Less than 50 km today, which was plenty enough for me! I'm kinda going with the the weather, allowing it to dictate when I take rest days, and Monday looks like that day.
Went to the beach of fine white sand, where a cold wind blew as I sat and journaled. I realized there were small shells on the beach. Such a novelty :)
Jan welcomed me in and I got showered up. I was glad I had a place to stay indoors, especially when I heard another cyclist was coming as well! First come first serve, and I had called first, so I got the guest room, the other guy had to camp.
Met Jan's husband John. It was indeed a rare thing for them to be on the Island!
They let me use their computer to upload my Garmin files onto Strava, which I hadn't been able to do for a weekend! Apparently I cycled 27 1/2 hours and put over 600 Km's on my bike since Monday!
Jan made an all out meal of make-your-own tortilla/tacos! Super tasty and filling! And then there were also brownies for dessert (feeling spoiled!)
Cyclist John came in the dark, as we were eating. He cycled from San Francisco and going is going east.






No comments:
Post a Comment