Sunday, February 28, 2016

Final day in Florida

My last full day in Florida before flying back.
It promised to be sunny and warm.
Jessica provided a bounteous spread for the 13 people in her house, although everyone ate breakfast in their own time. It was lovely being able to start the day with fresh fruit and delicious yogurt.
I had looked up churches in the area earlier and decided to attend Poinciana Christian Church which was about 5 Km's up the road. Since my bike wasn't packed up yet I rode over via the bike trail alongside the busy Hwy. (I feel like almost all roads besides residential and very rural ones are called Hwy's here in Florida).
I went to the 10:30 am service. It was pretty full. Between the two services I suppose they get about 500 people attending. It was the first time I had seen a cop blocking and directing traffic for church folks coming and going (two morning services), but it was cool to see.
I was comfortable with my choice of church.
The message was about doing good works, faith expressing itself through actions, not because works save us but because without doing, serving, caring we need to ask if our faith is real and alive.
It was lovely getting out in the sunshine again afterwards and I stopped to sit on the grass in the sun and journal for a bit.

When the sun is shining and it's 22 C out it seemed a crying shame to be indoors, perhaps especially since by tomorrow afternoon I will be back in cold Ontario.
Had some lunch and disassembled my bike.
It's always sad taking the bike apart after a trip. It seems so final. But it had to be done.
Went out for a walk yet. Such a lovely afternoon it was, and being outdoors is good for the soul.
My host, Jessica, offered to drive me to the airport in the early morning which I am incredibly grateful for!
I feel like in some ways I am indebted to the kindness of people I have stayed with along this journey. Sometimes it's hard to know how to thank people, how to make it up to them. I think I've come to realize sometimes just receiving the gift of hospitality and kindness without striving to repay in kind is a gift to people. Perhaps it's also to challenge me (us) to find ways we can use our gifts, resources, or time to bless others on this journey of life who might need a hand.





No comments:

Post a Comment