Thursday, February 11, 2016

Jackson to Franklinton

That Perry, she knows how to cook!
She obviously loves hosting cyclists, apparently she hosts 200-400 a year! She is right on the Southern Tier cycling route.
She made me a great kale smoothie to tide me over till supper, which was chili with quinoa, fresh baked cornbread, and a tomato salad. Her Columbian renter joined us for supper and we had good conversation.
It was cold out, so I was given two extra blankets (and a pillow, oh the luxury!) to use with my sleeping bag out in the little camper, so I was able to stay nice and snug despite the cold of night.
In the morning Perry whipped up some eggs which I enjoyed with leftover cornbread in the lovely warm house before packing up to head out into the cold morning.
For some reason I didn't feel much like riding, but I knew the only way to get to where I was going was by going. So on I rode.
It was kinda a rough day. Things just were not going so great with my back rack. I'm getting to know what each rubbing sound represents. There is the pannier screw rubbing into the sidewall of my back tire rub,  the rear brake rubbing, and the newest one, the top skew do the backrack pressing down into the tire. Apparently my backrack has too much weight dragging it down and it's messing with things in a bad way. It was stressful and frustrating to constantly be trying to adjust things. I would adjust something and it would be fine for a bit and then I was back to hearing rubbing.
Ahhhh! So needless to say, it was not fun riding.
The sun was out, but the wind cold, so I went from being really cold to really warm.
I struggled to keep positive, to focus on the good.
Life is simple, but even in the simple, there is a temptation to make mountains out of molehills, to stop believing God cares about our concerns, our issues, our worries.
It was Ash Wednesday and I thought about the beginning of Lent. The sobering reality of what the day represented. 40 days till Easter.
Despite leaving at 8:30 am I didn't get to Franklinton till after 3 pm, and I was utterly spent from being out in the elements. First thing I saw was the Golden Arches which signifies internet access, so I pulled over. I'm never sure when I will next have a chance to connect so I make the most of when I can.
I felt so tired I knew I had better get on over to the Police Department where I was hoping to spend the night. It was only a km away and I found it easily enough and signed in with the officer (they photocopied my ID), and, having been told by Perry about the possibility of staying indoors in the "interrogation room", I asked, and was allowed in with my bike. I was shown the shower room, and the room I was to stay in. It was good to know I could sleep inside on another cold night (2 C).
I love that they are willing to have cyclists stay on their premises. When else would I spend a night at a Police station!?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing again! We tried to reply to the e-mail update, not realizing it's a no reply box. Anyway, we enjoy daily reading about your adventures and we pray everyday for strength and protection from our Father! Love you!

    ReplyDelete