Biking becomes like working, something I have to do. Some days I like it, some days I just need a break. In some ways this trip has been reminding me of the value of stopping and taking a break. I think I just have a tendency to go and "git er done", and to forget to enjoy the journey, to stop and just be, to rest from the labours I'm engaged in.
Sometimes it can feel easier not to rest, but I realized my body, my spirit, my mind needs it.
I feel incredibly blessed to have found such lovely kind hosts to spend time with, to stay two nights at here in Pensacola.
So Monday (President's Day) I had a good sleep, and was spoiled to have waffles, bacon and fruit prepared for me for breakfast (feel like I ate more bacon on this trip than I have all last year!!)
Despite the rain in the forecast the sun was shining and it was a lovely morning.
Went for a walk through the neighbourhood with my hosts. The wind was gusty and my body sore so I was still glad I had taken the day off from riding. It got warm enough to wear a t-shirt! Love it!
My host Ray, took it upon himself to get my back rack on my bike all fixed up. No more bungee cord or zip ties! We made a trip to the bike shop to get some new skrews and a piece to secure the backrack to the seat post skrew to hold it up. Brilliant! One less stress. God does seem to put people in our lives who can help us on this journey of life, and Ray was certainly one of them!
Donna, hearing I was a baker/pastry chef really wanted to bake something, to learn something new, so we decided to make lemon buttercream tarts with sugar pastry crust. Not a lot of complicated ingredients, just time consuming and a bit finicky. But it was fun!
They turned out lovely and we enjoyed them for dessert that evening.
For the rest, went on a trip to Walmart with my hosts (and was able to pick up a few things), and rested and read and spent some time writing up feedback for past WarmShower hosts profiles. In some ways it's the references people give that build your ... Resume of sorts, it gives people an idea of what kind of person (or place) you are (or offered), so its important to do for others.
The rain finally did come down at 4:30 pm, and it came down in sheets with the wind gusting. It felt cozy being at Ray and Donnas place.
Donna made a fabulous southern style supper of pork chops with caramelized onions, baked sweet potato, green beans and ham, and cornbread.
Can't believe how tired I still feel, but another good nights rest should help me be ready to hit the road come morning.


No comments:
Post a Comment