It was lovely having a relaxed morning at Dave and Val's rental.
After breakfast we went out to walk on the beach. It was still quite windy but felt warmer (16 C).
There were a lot of people out walking. I realized this would be my last chance to walk a beach along the Gulf coast for awhile. Hearing the waves meet the shore seemed very calming. And the sun was bright.
By the time we got back it was almost 11 am already, so I got packed up to move on again.
It wasn't so hard saying goodbye because I knew I would see them again soon, back in Ontario. (They're flying back tomorrow).
And so I set my face against the wind and rode back up towards Tampa, bound for Riverview again.
All this past week I have heard about "Manatees" and that I should go see them. Seemed like every other thing in the Bradenton area had Manatee in its name, but apparently they are unique to the area.
I learned bits about them from my hosts. They can't handle the cold water of the Gulf at this time of year so they hang out in the inlets and springs where it's warmer.
On my route I went through Apollo Beach and there they had a power plant where the Manatee hung out. There was a visitor information and viewing area. It seemed to be quite the popular place to go and there was a good many people out to see them.
I wasn't really sure what to expect. My first impression was that they were just great blobs floating in the water. They kinda resemble seals or walruses in my opinion, but still different. They're called Sea cows, they're docile and slow moving.
I'm glad I stopped by to check them out.
I ended up riding on some pretty busy and stressful roads on the remaining part of the ride.
Mike and Mary had invited me to stay with them again so I rode to their place in Riverview. I can tell Mary loves hosting because as soon as she got home she was putting out nibbles, fruit, cheese and crackers.
When Mike got home from mountain biking we went out for salad and pizza. Haven't had pizza in awhile so it was really nice to have it again. Not too much longer and I'll be back to making it at home :)
Two more nights after tonight, and tomorrow will be my last long riding day. Glad to see in the forecast there will be less wind, although still quite cool.




No comments:
Post a Comment