Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Serious rain, good rest.

With 100% chance of rain I knew I wasn't going to be biking anywhere today.
My host offered to drive me up to her workplace in Ruskin and the friends (Ed and Wilma) I had planned to stay with offered to pick me up from there, and so I was on the road at 8 am, happy to be in a vehicle as lightening flashed and heavy rains poured down from the sky.
I was so thankful things could work out, and that I could have a rest day!
 And so it was that I came to be in the Sugar Creek Resort, a retired snowbird haven.
The rain came and went in a sporadic way.
I was able to rest, to get my bike cleaned and the chain lubed up.
I found out that just yesterday I created 2000 Km's for the month (which is a crazy lot of Km's!) I suppose it averages to be about 100 km a day, including the rest days, which makes the average slightly higher.
For the rest, I had tea, sat around and chatted, biked around (all of 4 or 5 Km's) the park with Wilma, and had a lovely nap.
Later I had a lovely swim in the "Canadian pool", which is the colder of the two pools :) after which I soaked in the hot tub. Felt good!
I was invited to join my friends for the big Soupfest event happening at the clubhouse.
There were 45 soups that the park residents had made to share, and probably about 100 retired people to share it. It was like a cyclists dream come true! Unlimited food, and my metabolism doesn't take a day off when I do! So I enjoyed a bowl of chicken chili soup with cilantro and sour cream, and then a bowl of Taco soup complete with cheese and tortilla chips, after which I also sampled the Gnocchi chicken chowder. All of which were incredible and helped fill me up.

And then the 44 different desserts came out! I like my sweets, so I started with two, and when I could go up for seconds I tried another... dare I even admit it... 4 others. What can I say? I'm going to bike it off tomorrow.


I didn't realize there were so many people I knew there from back in Ontario!
I recognized an older couple, and it seemed crazy to think after 16 years I still recognized them and that they were here, of all places! Mike and Barb used to be my family's landlords, and lived next door when we lived out on the farm (for 9 years), so I visited with them for a bit.
And then there were Adrian and Karen, part of the group I rode across the country with back in 2008.
And Jack and Crystal, who I attended the same church with for years!
Kinda unreal, makes it feel like a small world down here in Florida!

Every day is so completely different on this trip, but God remains the same no matter what happens or where I go.
And everyday at least one person (and today it was more like 5!), tells me to "be safe"!
Gods done an amazing job of keeping me safe on this journey, and I feel like it's really his grace that has been with me all along.


No comments:

Post a Comment