Friday, February 5, 2016

Kirbyville to Merryville

My host, Sidney Monk, turned out to be a bachelor (recently, his profile on warmshowers indicated otherwise). And he had no internet.
I think I was impressed that he was so open and willing to host me. I suppose some people seem to find it intriguing to interact with us crazy cyclist types :)
I was so thoroughly chilled at that point that nothing seemed more pleasant than taking a toasty warm shower.
Sid shared about his life and then decided to get the BBQ going. He put me to work making hamburger patties (something I can say I have only ever done once in my life!). The meat was a mix of ground beef from his own cows, ground venison from a deer he recently shot himself, and some bacon. I had fun seasoning it up and making the patties. Then I made up a salad, while Sid got the burgers going and smoked some pot (which he generously offered to share but that I quickly declined!)
The burgers were incredible! Best I've had in a very long time! Of course I had worked up a good appetite by then as well and food always tastes better then.
I liked that he had a wood stove heating the house. Liked that he had a Doberman pincher dog. Both seemed like familiar ties to my childhood on the farm and made me happy.
Sid showed me his pride and joy: his freezer loaded with meat from his own cow and the venison, his stuffed prizes from hunting escapades, and his guns. He had a big safe in which he kept his 13 long guns (rifles), and then he had two (loaded!) pistols, and a closet full of bullets. All I can say is, to each his own.
I got to stay up in a room that was in some state of disuse. I opted to sleep in my own sleeping bag rather than in the bedding available, since I knew not when it was last cleaned.
The house being off the Hwy there was constant noise and lights as (there were no curtains in the windows either). Earplugs helped as did covering my eyes with my buff. And I slept, my last night in Texas (already!)
Next morning Sid made a breakfast of bacon, eggs and toast to share.
I offered to help do some work around the place (as Sid had offered it, and perhaps jokingly (?!), said he paid $10/hr).
He had a wood splitter powered by the tractor pto, and so after a good hour we had split most of the tree that had been laying, cut in chunks, on the lawn, and had it neatly stacked in the woodshed. It felt good doing physical labor even though it took more out of me than I anticipated. 
Never did get paid, but felt awkward asking as he had let me stay and fed me and all.
Headed out around 11am. Just had a shorter day of cycling. Less than 50 Km's to Merryville. I think my body needed that though, as its still adjusting to all the cycling.
The biggest point of interest on the ride was crossing the Sabine River which marked the boarder between Texas and Louisiana.

So now in the small town of Merryville.
The library was closed, so no internet access there, but the local grill did, as I recall reading about from feedback another cyclist.
Finally! Feel like I've been in withdrawal, and it's hard trying to coordinate future hosts when I have no internet!
I was welcomed by (another) Sheila. She gave me access to the town museums washroom/shower facility and the little cabin I'd be staying in overnight. Pretty sweet little set up they have! I was allowed into the museum for a brief look around. Lots of history! 
Went back to Stu's Grill for supper since I really had no better options for getting grub. So cheese sticks it is! Cheese sticks being like cheesy pizza cut in strips to dip in marinara sauce, mmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment