Saturday, February 6, 2016

Rest Rain Day

It was lovely having my own place, the cabin. The space heater kept it warm and comfortable as another cold night came and went. Morning brought with it rain.
I was not really sure what to do about my day, but figured I could make this my rest day and not bike anywhere, especially as my next hosts are still a bit unconfirmed.
I made myself hot oatmeal by heating water in the coffee maker provided. It worked just fine and filled me up good.
The library opened at 9 am, and I was looking forward to getting use of the computer and Internet to upload my rides onto Strava. Spent 2 hours chilling out there.
I love places like libraries and visitor information centres. For a cyclist on the road they provide washrooms, and wifi and can be a welcome sight.

The rain had stopped, but it was still on and off, drizzling, then dumping, then letting the sun on through. A cold wind blew from the East. It would've been a headwind had I departed today. I'm thankful I had the option not to, that I could observe a day of rest. Even managed to get in a much needed nap! This bike touring has been taking a lot out of me.

The town I am in is a small town, like really small. There is no grocery store, so I ventured over to the "Dollar General" to check out what sorts of things they sold.
The store reminded me of a "Giant Tiger" back home. Little bit of this and that. I wandered the aisles to see what was available. Cheap and nutritious was what I was after.
Of course I had to consider bulk and weight of packaging as well. I'm amazed at how much junk food there is available! I walked out having purchased instant mashed potatoes, whole grain crackers and a bag of trail mix.

"It's only courage on the path itself that makes the path appear." -Sacred Living

I feel like I'm facing a lot of challenges to exercise courage. It's like I am learning, growing, being stretched, being challenged to trust along this journey. I feel like I am starting to face some of the harsher realities of bike touring. I have been spoiled in my past trips with Warmshower hosts every night. Perhaps I am learning more about how to have fewer comforts. To live more simply.
Simplicity is a Christian discipline. I considered how Jesus lived simply, travelled light. Of course, he had good reason to, and he was able to be a blessing to others.
As I travel I hope that I too can be a blessing to those whose path I cross. I hope I can leave things better than I found them, however that looks. To care enough to put in the effort. 


1 comment: