Another beautiful day dawned, cool in the morning, but it got up to 19 C as the day wore on.
I knew I only had a short ride ahead of me so I decided to get out for a short run. It felt good, even though it was only a short 20 minutes. I miss the diversity of cross training.
Mr.Marty (he's retired but still quite active in his community), provided me with breakfast, for which I am thankful. I don't want to presume upon others generosity and provision as if I somehow deserve it. It is a gift and I am grateful! The last two days I was also blessed on my way with fruit to take along. For me fruit is like gold! It's so fresh, juicy, delicious and not easy for me to get when I am travelling.
I was all ready to go but took about half an hour to go down to the empty beach to soak in e beauty of the place and walk along the white sand shoreline as waves crashed beside. I got to see a starfish, washed up on the beach!
Then I got back on my bike and started out. Another road rider passed and yelled "Way to go girl!". Guess he has some respect for what I am doing :)
The road to Panama City was pretty straightforward but at one point I got off the main Hwy to take an alternative route, and was glad I did because I got to see the coolest place... It was actually "Ripley's believe it or not"...
The whole beachside area along the coast seems very much like a big tourist trap, lots of shopping malls, entertainment, fancy places to eat and rental homes/condos. Something of the beauty is lost by consumerism.
Arrived in Panama City where I found a nice quiet park to sit for a bit and eat crackers and trail mix (it's been good having other foods so I'm not just eating energy bars!)
There was a 250 year old Live Oak in the park. I learned from one of my hosts that Live Oak trees are protected by the State and aren't allowed to be cut down (similar to saguaro cactus in Arizona)!
My host, Janice had said I could come whenever so I didn't mind coming around noon.
It was such a gorgeous afternoon so I helped her a bit in her garden and then got to cook up some chili with the ingredients she provided, which I admit I quite enjoyed being allowed to follow!
I sat in her back garden and journaled in the warm sunshine, soaking it in.
Mr.Fuji's chain needed some attention since it was rusting a bit, so I got it all cleaned up and re-lubed. About time to pump up the tires again as well...
Rumour was another cyclist was coming as well, but he was a no show, not that it mattered to me since I had requested ahead of him and thus got the bed :)
I took the time to actually sit and watch a movie since I had the time (and Internet!)
For supper Janice invited her 90 year old (WW2 veteran) neighbor to join us. He was a kind soul.
Chili with guacamole corn chips, and for dessert, fresh made brownies! Oh I'm a sucker for sweets!
There was a church across the way that said on the sign "6:30 pm Wednesday worship service" (or perhaps I just assumed it was a worship service...) I went, but it was really not what I thought. 7 people over twice my age sat around a table and had a meeting about their sad (dying) church situation. It looked like they would spend a lot of time in prayer for people in the aging congregation, and it just really wasn't what I felt compelled to be part of so I politely left after 25 minutes. I felt bad but was glad to just take time to have some quiet time on my own instead and listen to worship music to lift my soul.






No comments:
Post a Comment