Monday, February 22, 2016

Sunday ride from Live Oak to Gainsville

Surprisingly I slept very well. After 9:30 the trains stopped, and I slept through traffic noises and clock tower chimes until morning dawned.
All the camping stuff was damp from the dew but I packed it up in hopes I could dry it out later in the day. For breakfast I had my lovely orange, the remaining crackers and the last of the granola Janice had given me. I figured once I was on the road I would be chowing down all manner of energy bars anyhow.
I think aside from the kindness of one young fireman I probably would have left Live Oak with a deep sense of being unwelcome. There is grace. Perhaps it's times like this that remind me that my simple acts or words of kindness can powerfully impact, and that I can seek to be kind to the strangers that cross my path.
I was able to use the facilities, fill up water bottles and, luxury of luxuries-use the Internet to check my emails real quick and post my blog write up.
Then I got going, riding to where the sun was rising in the east. It was just before 8 am when I started out.
It was such an incredibly beautiful morning to be outdoors. I think I have come to really appreciate all the time I have been able to spend in the great outdoors and know I will seriously miss it when I am back to working in the artificially lit bakery with the it's lemon meringue coloured walls.
I stopped to take a few photos and just enjoyed the riding.

It promised to be another warm day, which was probably good since I was dealing with pms cramps.
One thing I found interesting as I cycled was the burned pasture lands. It looks very intentionally done, since the ground is power up around the fences to keep the fire contained. Perhaps it's necessary for new growth to happen.
I loved seeing little wildflowers along the roadsides, especially knowing it's probably going to be another 2 months or more before I see that up in Ontario!
Decided to get out of the rut of always going to General Dollar and to check out the Family Dollar instead. I found cheap fig newtons and a great snack mix (with pretzels!), but I still think I prefer General Dollar. I enjoyed chatting with the cashier girl, she's never even seen Canadian currency before, let alone a girl crazy enough to cycle long distances on her holidays :)
On and on I rode, the day going from sun, to sun and cloud but retaining its warmth.

At the town of Newberry I stopped at a great little park to have a bite to eat and journal and put some earbuds in my ears to listen to some uplifting music. It was lovely but as I realized even though I didn't know exactly where my host lived I had told her I would be there between 2-3 pm, so I had better get moving to make it! From there I rode hard to the west side of Gainsville where Andrea lived. had a good idea of where she lived, just no house number, but I trusted God would help me figure it out in due time as he did the other times I was in the same situation.
Over and over on this trip God has proved his grace is sufficient!
I was so happy when, just as I pulled up to the house I suspected Andrea lived in, the garage door opened and she came out :) 130 Km's later...
She was great, showing me in, and giving me time to get cleaned up and settled in.
I felt very comfortable with her and welcome to make myself at home.
My camping gear I was able to dry in her lovely enclosed deck area (where one of her beautiful cats decided the sleeping bag was most comfortable (I agree :)
Andrea had cooked up a wonderful lasagna which was already starting to smell good when I came in, meanwhile I snacked on trail mix and caught up on online stuff while chatting on and off with my host. I enjoyed her company.
We ate outside because it was so pleasant out! It was definitely the warmest day of my trip so far! I had two big pieces of lasagna and loads of delicious salad. Guess I had worked up an appetite!


1 comment:

  1. So glad for a sunny warm day for you! :) enjoying your posts!

    ReplyDelete