Once again I was reminded that fears are worse than the thing feared actually is. Funny that in my bible readings that evening it had repeatedly said, "do not be afraid", reminding me God is greater than our fears, and he won't leave me alone in them.
I just got my things together. Ate dry cereal for breakfast and headed out leaving the key in the mailbox and the house just as I found it. It seemed a bit of an odd setup, but I suppose it was good to be entrusted to stay. It sufficed.
I stopped at the old flower shop, which was on the way, to pick up some internet (my host had given me tip and password. Apparently he has numerous places, like the empty house I stayed in. I think he might be a lawyer or something, I dunno.
Then on my way.
It was a lot of Hwy riding. At least I had a good shoulder to ride on, and music to keep me from going crazy from all the trucks going by. (I never ride with it too loud for safety reasons :)
And then I came up to a bridge. And the left lane of the two lane Hwy was closed. Great.
A man in a pickup told me it was dangerous, offered to drive me over the bridge. He seemed like a trustworthy man, so I said "sure".
He pulled his massive truck over and helped me put my bike in the back. He wasn't kidding about the bridge, the second one, which had two lanes but absolutely zero shoulder to ride safety on and was 4 miles long over a very marshy wet area. It would've been super sketchy riding there, so I was really thankful for the lift. Ricky let me out after the bridge and I continued on my merry way, and he continued on to check his oil wells.
I soon left the 190 and it's busy traffic behind.
Today is Mardi Gras, apparently. Learning as I go. Mardi Gras, I don't know much about it, except that it involves strings of colourful beads, drinking and partying. Not my thing.
Funny thing was for the last two days I have been seeing strings of beads lying all glittery at the side of the road.
The roads got to be no shoulder. And I noticed the wind. I had been mostly a nice strong tailwind, but at times it got to be a side wind, that was no so nice.
When I got to the "False River" area it was like cottage country. Lots of homes on waterfront property. In New Road traffic was kinda crazy, turns out it was because of the Mardi Gras parade. It was a little awkward cycling down the road lined with people awaiting the parade, which I assume was to happen in 15-30 minutes. Maybe it would've been cool to stay to watch it, but I wasn't feeling like joining the throngs, besides I has to find some place to get a bathroom break asap.
So on I rode.
The Mississippi River lay ahead of me, so I went to the big bridge to cross it. Now THAT is a big river! I had lots of shoulder to ride on over the bridge and traffic wasn't crazy, so it was good.
From there it was one form of Hwy to another, and it started getting hard mentally, to deal with the constant traffic and little shoulder, but there was no place to stop so on I rode. Onward, ever onward.
Crested 100 km and soon after came to the Templetons place, where Perry greeted me. It was lovely to have a host to look after me.
It being as cool as it was it was decided that I could shower in the house instead of the outdoor shower. I have to say, after my housemate talking so highly of outdoor showers I felt almost bad not to have had the chance to experience it for myself!
Perry made me a lovely bowl of purple sweet potato which she melted butter and peanut butter and cane sugar over, decadent real food! How I love wholesome food! And her baba ganoush was out of this world good!
And that was only lunch ;) (I got in at 1ish)




No comments:
Post a Comment