Monday, February 8, 2016

Merryville to the unknown...

Post for Sunday, February 7th

Today needed up being way beyond what I expected it to be. I didn't have a host lined up... Not exactly anyways. I had contacted the one but it was a little confusing... She said she was away for Mardi Gras but I was welcome to stay at her place with her dog.
The other backup host was 30 km further and I had texted her and not heard back... And she didn't have her address on her profile, so it's not like I could just show up at her door.

The morning was a damp cold, and there was a heavy frost on everything.
Maybe I would've been smart to stay at the local Grill for an hour or so while it warmed up, but I was eager to take on the day and be on the road, so I left the sleepy little town of Merryville with the roasters still crowing at 8 am. I was so unsure of what lay ahead, but I felt I had to trust that things would somehow work out in the end. Surely the Lord would provide.
My fingers froze first, then my toes, and it was a painful experience. I wore all the layers I owned and could do no better. But it was so beautiful! The sun touching the delicate white frost and mist rising. It was magical to see.

I was glad I was out for that reason alone.
Having had a day off had refreshed me well.
It was Sunday of course to, so I thought to stop at a church somewhere along the way to join them for worship. Services seem to range from 10-11 am.
The sun was amazing, the way it touched all that was cold and brought warmth and restored life.
I went past some pretty intimidating large churches that I couldn't imagine setting foot in.
So I rode on, away from the city. I told myself that at 11 am I would stop and put on a sermon on and that would be church, but at exactly 11 am I came to a sign that posted a church, Smyrna Baptist Church, with services, so I turned in. I felt unsure about going in, but gathered my courage and, after putting my skirt over my cycling tights and locking up my bike, went in and slipped in the back row. Small church only maybe 1/3 filled, if that.
I was a bit disappointed when most of the sermon time was taken up by a parishioner who shared about a PowerPoint presentation of her recent trip to Isreal and Jerusalem.
The pastor still managed to get in a short sermon about God choosing us. I think I appreciated his prayer at the end the most.
Then I headed on my way again. I was super hungry by then and had myself a macadamia white chocolate Clif bar for lunch. Not my favourite flavour.
I was bound for Oakdale. It was pretty straightforward to get there.
The day had warmed up significantly and I found myself stopping frequently to strip off the layers as I went.
The cattle and horses started or ran in fright or curiosity as I rode by. I suppose they don't see much of my kind.
The last stretch into Oakdale was not fun. I was starting to ache, so I popped an ibuprofen and plugged in my iPod.
In Oakdale I found a McDonalds, not because anything on the menu is appealing but rather because I figured they might have wifi, which they did.
My headspace was such that I struggled to make a decision as to what to order... I asked for tea, but Louisiana is funny that way, when they say tea they mean iced tea. So I got myself a huge cup of sugared iced tea. Turned out to be exactly what I needed, hydration and sugar for my brain function to be restored. Although when I tell you about what I did next you may question me...
I desperately hoped one of the potential hosts had gotten back to me, but no. So I did some quick research and found the next possible place I could find a place to sleep... 60 Km's away in Bunkie, a fire station... And I was already at 110 km of riding for the day!
I went to the home of my potential host, the one with the dog, which turned out to be the sweetest hound dog ever. There was no one home, and the doors were locked. I could of course camp out in their yard, or in the drafty cold garage with the dog... But I was hungry and wanted for a shower and the idea appealed not at all, so I left, bound for Bunkie. 
Crazy, I know, especially since the sun goes down so early. I knew I had to ride hard if I wanted to make it in before sunset. I had to tell myself, "I can do this", and remind myself of other crazy things I did and survived, like the time I rode for 24 hrs straight.
Sometimes I think the only reason I get fit is because I'm motivated to get to places on time and push myself hard :)
I felt like I was racing the sun, the clock, time trialing with a lot of weight trying to slow me down. It was hard but I did what I could to stay hydrated and getting food into my system. Pumpkin Pie Spice Clif bar for supper :)
One guy pulled up beside me and told me I should probably find another road to bike on. Okay... Right, how about not. It's not like I was familiar the area and the bike map suggested the road I was on, and it led me exactly where I needed to go, so I just said, "sorry, can't help it". Maybe he was just concerned about the fact that there was no shoulder on the road and with the daylight fading...
I was glad I had bike lights with me as the sun sank lower. 
Over 170 Km's, and with panniers. I found the Fire Station without too much trouble just as the darkness settled on the land (6pm). I had to rest and eat something before walking in that door. Another opportunity to exercise courage, but I had to do it. Simple.
The guys were cool, although maybe a tad unsure of how to be around a girl like me. I was able to shower up and get my growing pile of laundry washed :)
The guys offered me BLT's for supper and I wasn't about to say no, not after all the energy I had exerted. I had 3 sandwiches, put eating them all, but it hit the spot. I was so happy to feel safe and cared for.
They let me sleep in their lounge area, on one of the couches. I was just happy to be indoors, out of the elements. My sleeping bag is getting good use on this trip :)
 God was faithful to provide and his grace was sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment