It was interesting to have a glimpse into the life of a firefighter. The guys had a dormer room, where two of them were ready and on call in case of an emergency all night. At about 6:30 am the shift turnover started happening and I got up and prepared to leave even though I really wasn't sure how to fill the day since I didn't have too far to ride. It just seemed better that I head out and leave the guys to do their thing. Sometimes I wish I wasn't a girl.
Seems everyone is telling me to be safe.
Been making good use of the oatmeal breakfast I took along!
Was on the road before 8 am and had to go back over the same road to head down to Opelousas.
Maybe it was crazy to go down that way, but then again, I didn't expect to end up in Bunkie either.
It was a lovely sunny morning. As I rode the wind started picking up, fortunately it was mostly tail wind.
There really wasn't much else to do except ride! There was no shoulder on the road and it was all rather flat farming country (compared to yesterday where there was just trees, trees and then places trees had been logged).
Saw some crawfish farms. Apparently that's a big thing down South.
The roads got rather wretched to ride on, just really rough and bumpy, no shoulder and traffic increasing the closer I got to the big city.
The wind felt cold, and I was glad I didn't have far to ride as yesterday had taken its toll on me.
I started hearing my tire rubbing against something, always bad when that happens. It has happened before and I thought I fixed the problem when I had my back rack welded. Alas.
I began noticing there were more and more coloured folks around. I suppose that shouldn't surprise me considering the history of the area.
I disliked cycling in that city, and realize again why I typically avoid cities.
I got my Garmin to tell me where there was a McDonalds so I could head over and get me some internet. It wasn't too far out.
It was good to be inside, to get a bite to eat and catch up on life online for a bit.
I stayed for over an hour, just killing time. A few people inquired about my trip, including the manager who also was kind enough to give me a free breakfast sandwich.
I connected with my host again and then biked up to his place.
Every day is a new adventure and I find myself in such odd and differing situations!
So Mr. Jackson basically has a house that sits empty that he lets people like me use. So I was on my own, entrusted with the housekeeper to a big old house full of old books piled on the floors. Apparently there's a cat who lives in the house somewhere, but is scarce seen, a rescue.
I was really wiped out, so I quickly showered then got out my sleeping bag and crashed out on the big old bare mattress on the four poster bed for an hour. I really wasn't feeling so great.
The wind was really gusting outside and the house creaked and groaned and it all seemed rather creepy, and it wasn't even night yet.
Truth is the whole area makes me uncomfortable to be in and I will be happy to leave in the morning!
While it was still light I got out to walk the 8 blocks to the local grocery store. First actual grocery store I've been to on this trip.
There was no way of actually cooking anything at the house (or even boil water!) so I had to think creatively... Or just settle for whatever. I was happy to buy some fresh fruit since I have missed having access to fresh produce.
Everything seemed really expensive, and doubly so because of the currency exchange rate.
I was glad it was still daylight. I think it would have really freaked me out to be out if it wasn't.


Pictures?
ReplyDelete