Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Flying down south...

And so the journey continues. I can't say begins, because I feel as though it began in previous months, in all the preparations. But it's happening for real. 
Was up before 5 am to get dressed and on the road to be on my way.
Hard leaving the comfort and familiarity of home to step out into the unknown.
But perhaps that is simply the nature of pilgrimage. "By having the courage to leave the familiar surroundings, people and routines, we provide opportunity for encountering new understanding, experiences and insights." (Excerpt from "Sacred Living")
As much as I know it's good it's still hard. I am just tired of all the preparations to be away I suppose. Certainly haven't planned the most restful get away! But it's one in which I learn to trust God in ways I otherwise would not feel I had to.
Now the anxiety I felt in the preparation is behind as I go forward. Forward into something of a simpler life.

I had booked with Westjet but they had me fly out on their partner airline, Delta. Turns out Delta charges $150 just to take my bike on board (I expressly chose Westjet because they are cheaper to fly with bikes). So much for that attempt to be forsightful in the planning process.
The airport had made changes to the check in/ Security process as well, which was also interesting because they didn't have a big enough scanner for oversize baggage, or at least, for a full size bike box. I had to open the (carefully tapped up) bike box and unpack it for inspection. Guess you have to do what you have to do.
For the rest, fairly smooth. Flight got delayed for over an hour, so lots of sitting and waiting.
I had a layover in Atlanta, initially 2 hours, but that got shortened due to the earlier delay. 
It's very disorienting to be in a huge unfamiliar airport and to have to figure out where to go and how to get there. But people are willing to help if asked, so it just takes a little courage (for the introvert:).
Have to say I was impresses once I got to Houston, Texas. Impressed my bike box arrived in decent shape and in a very timely manner. 
Was able to call my host (thanks to info help desk), Robin, who was awaiting my arrival in the cell parking lot.
It's such a gift, to have people willing and able to do the everyday things, like airport pickup and drop off! Very very grateful! Makes things that much less stressful.
It was so lovely and warm. 23C!
I built up my bike in a timely manner, as I basked in the warm sunshine out back of my hosts place.
1 hr time difference here. Feels like a long day already!

No comments:

Post a Comment