For breakfast Donna made me real southern grits! I'd only ever just heard about them, so it was really nice to actually taste them!
She put cheese on top, but they reminded me of oatmeal in that it was kinda... Bland without anything. The texture was pretty creamy and kinda porridge like.
It was sad saying goodbye after having such a lovely stay with this retired couple, but it was time to journey on again.
They gave me some last minute tips, place worth stopping etc.
First stop: Bagel Heads
They had fresh baked bagels, and a huge selection that appealed greatly to my carb craving. I picked only one for the road ahead, and later regretted not having picked up a second.
Peanut butter scrumptious flavour! It was coated in cinnamon sugar and when I later had a bite I was very happy with the choice :)
Then I just rode along the coastal Hwy 98, sometimes seeing the water other times not. It was all very civilized and built up. Lots and lots of rental beach houses and condominiums.
In Destin I had been encouraged to stop at The Donut Hole bakery where they, apparently, make the best donuts.
Typically I don't eat donuts, but I feel like a) I'm on holidays and b) I am burning off whatever I eat with all the cycling. So I stopped in and picked out a coconut covered donut and a glazed blueberry cake donut. I sat in the lovely sun and devoured them before even taking a photo.
It was one of those days when the sun was warm but the wind cold, so I wore long sleeves and knee warmers all day. (16 C)
Time went by well, hardly noticed it's passing. I rode through one beachside community after another. The beach was so beautiful with the white sand and the waves were a greenish blue with white. There were palm trees lining the streets. It seemed a bit surreal to be biking through this area, to absorb the fact that I am here, that I get to see more of Gods beautiful creation and be in a place where I can comfortably bike outdoors.
I had had a bit of difficulty communicating with my host to get his exact address (one of the disadvantages of not traveling with a cell phone and being dependent on wifi to connect!) but I figured God knew where I had to go and could help me get there.
Sea breeze circle...I rode slowly through the neighbourhood and then boldly asked a man walking a dog if he knew where my host lived.he did, and although he couldn't give me the house number his description of where the house was located was adequate. I sat at the driveway of the house I thought it was until I spotted a cyclist lawn decoration and felt assured it was the right place.
Sure enough it was Mr. Marty's place.
He had a granny suite attached to his house, so I had my own private quarters to stay in. After settling in I went with him and his two little dogs, Molly and Joey, down to the white sand beach. It was so nice down by the water!
Later Mr. Marty provided supper, grilled salmon with pesto, toast, green beans and his homemade cranberry sauce.
Today was about 130 km, but it looks like tomorrow will be a shorter riding day, but that should give me time to enjoy things in a different way.






No comments:
Post a Comment