Friday, February 5, 2016

February 3 Day 1 of cycling

Sorry, no internet connection till now...

Wednesday, February 3
Thoughts and observations.
In some ways it doesn't feel quite as "other-world-like" here in Texas as it did in Arizona. Perhaps there are simply more familiar plants and trees. 
It feels like spring though. I hear birds twittering happily, and see bugs, and lawnmowers drone in the background. It suits me just fine.
It was hard getting on the road, starting what I came to do.
It always takes some getting used to... Having 40+lbs of stuff hanging off the back of my bike, weighing me down, creating a sense of being unbalanced. 
Just have to let myself take the time to get used to it all... This new normal, as it were.
Between my notes jotted down, my Garmin and screenshots of google maps I found my way without any issues.
Things I noted on the way:
Cactus and tropical plants and palm trees are around, but in much smaller numbers and seem strange amongst the evergreen trees.
Ranch style houses seem the norm here, but I suppose that makes sense since Texas is ranching country!
I don't think I have ever seen so many pickup trucks on the roads as there are here! Most drivers seem to be considerate of me, which I really appreciate.
People like having dogs here, and dogs go nutso when they see me ride down the road. Thankful most people are considerate enough to fence in their property!
Google maps only tells you so much... The road I chose to ride on was nice, but as I went on it got narrower, and the pavement was more rough and patchy, and then it turned to dreaded dirt, or rather, sand, which is not a hot happening thing when riding a bike with skinny tires and as much weight as I was dragging around! Luckily it wasn't for a very long stretch and I managed not to wipe out (there is grace even in that!)
Then I passed a smouldering forest. I'm pretty sure that's not normal. It looked to be all under control, the trees seemed mostly okay, it was just all the undergrowth that was charred.
The area seems extremely marshy and wet in general. (I noticed this from the airplane before landing). So it's likely I'll have to deal with rain at some point (trying to mentally prepare myself for something I'd rather not have to deal with).
It was rather dramatic, so I stopped to take some photos.
I started chowing down some of the 4.5 kg of food I had stashed in my panniers. I'm glad to have it but energy bars... They're just not... Real food, if you know what I mean.
I started hurting about 3 hours in. This is why I try not to ride too much more than 120kms in one day when touring. Back. Hips. Shoulders. Classic.
I tried to focus in on the scenery. It was lovely riding on the quieter roads. 
There certainly is no shortage of churches in Texas! Particularly Baptist.
I found the "Shepherd Sanctuary" without any difficulty. It felt very... I want to say hippy, or new age-ish. Didn't see a soul around the place, so I found a sunny spot out of the wind and let he weariness start to soak out of my body
Put in 78 km.

No comments:

Post a Comment