It was so lovely and quiet out in the country. I slept well. When morning came I had some decisions to make in regards to rerouting, figuring where to go. Original plan was to camp, but the I'd have to go way up to the upper peninsula to find the next available host...
Kip and Marya were hoping I'd take a rest day, and I feel like it was time. I was starting to get too tired to enjoy being on this trip, a good indication I needed rest. I didn't want to throw all my plans (hosts I had already lined up) out of kilter, so it was decided I would take it easy and they'd drive me part way my route. I contacted a host in Presqe Isle to see if they might possibly be able to host me last minute. And yes, they seemed happy to though they were also hosting a family reunion of sorts...
Kip made delicious gluten free pancakes with fresh blueberries and raspberries inside, and served it with his own Red Maple syrup for breakfast, yum!
It was actually nice not having to get out and ride, to give my body a bit of a break.
Marya packed a picnic lunch and we went to Little Girls Point, a beach and picnic area next to Lake Superior. It was a very warm day so it was quite busy.
I looked at the pretty rocks, put my feet in the water and chatted with Kip as Marya went in for a dip.
We had a lovely picnic lunch and then went to see waterfalls before they dropped me off in Wakefield (Michigan) so I could cycle over to my next hosts place (in Wisconsin again... And here I thought I'd only spend one night in Wisconsin!)
By then it was already 4:40 pm. It was still real warm out, but I could feel the day waning. Lots of rolling hills. It felt like cottage country. It only ended up being a bit over 2 hours, but I was able to set a decent pace (thanks to the rest and the deer flies hunting me). It was so beautiful, the quieter winding roads, the smell of trees and nature. I was happy for the new bike gloves Marya gave me (she wasn't keen on the fit for herself). My left hand felt better but still sensitive, so gloves with gel padding helps!
I'll admit, I was a bit nervous about showing up at a busy family reunion, but Jeannie and Bill welcomed me warmly and were good about making sure I was taken care of. Such a cool cottage retreat place! Right on a lake.
I went down to the lake to take a refreshing swim and relax a little before showering and getting something to eat. Everywhere I was introduced to first cousins, whose names went in one ear and out the other. One thing for sure, there was lots of food! And good food at that!
I got to play photographer for the group, which was kinda fun (4 cellphones and 1 camera later!)
It was mostly an older crowd but they were nice, so I found I enjoyed chatting with and hanging around them.
I stayed up a little later than usual, and was allowed to sleep in the air conditioned RV for the night.
- Eritia



No comments:
Post a Comment