Saturday, July 14, 2018

Day 7; into another State

It was so good to have a real bed to sleep on. I slept well. It was also nice to not have to rush out. (Mel went to work early and Sam was due back from night shift (nursing) two hours later, but they were fine with me being there alone).
I had made overnight oats, which I eat a lot of when I'm home ( oats soaked overnight in yogurt with fruit and flax seed). So breakfast was ready.
I packed up and was ready to be on my way at 8:45 am. The morning was lovely.
First thing was a great downhill ride, and then over to the Bong bridge, which fortunately had a Pedestrian and cyclist ramp/lane.
And then I left Minnesota and entered Wisconsin! (City of Superior next to Lake Superior).
I took residential streets for a bit to avoid the highway. There was a bike trail which I picked up on the other side which was paved, so a temporary reprieve, but it all too soon turned to gravel (Tri-county corridor ATV trail). My bikes tires are really too skinny to handle gravel well, so I was back on the highway. 
It was ribbed concrete which is extremely hard on the ears when tires pass by. Turned out to be only for the joint highway section, so once I was on 2, East bound it was back to asphalt.
I saw a nice looking tiny house for sale along the highway, not often I see that!
The highway kept widening then narrowing to 2 lanes. I stopped when I saw a Wayside rest area. Just nice to be off the bike for a bit. (Not so nice being found by mosquitos).
Then onward towards Ashland. My hosts were to the west of the city. The day passed by as I pedalled and listened to "Jesus Jams"-Praise and worship music.
It was nearing 2:30 pm when I arrived at Kip and Marya's country home. There were chickens in the yard and gardens of different kinds.
I was warmly welcomed and promptly invited to and whisked off to a  beautiful lake in the Wisconsin wilderness for a refreshing swim. That felt amazing, to be immersed in cool lake water after being heated up by the sun for hours on the road.
My left hand was almost numb from the pressure of resting it on the handlebars all day. Must've pinched a nerve of something. My cycling gloves are supposed to help, but they only do so much...
After the swim I was able to get showered and ate munchies as supper was prepared.
What an interesting older couple to talk to!
They made such a delicious meal (complete with a stinging nettle quiche:)
Before dessert we took a tour of their 3 gardens, which produces everything from blueberries, to basil, to corn and peas (pretty much everything you could think of growing they grow!) pretty amazing actually.
Dessert was local ice cream with fresh raspberries and blueberries. So good!
Marya shared her testimony, something she does with all her guests. What a powerful story of how she came to Jesus! (She grew up atheist). What a contrast to The conversation with Joe the other night!

--
- Eritia

No comments:

Post a Comment