I was eager to be on the road, so waking at 6:45 am was great!
Dorothy made scrambled eggs to go with oats and yogurt and fresh mango. It didn't take long to pack up. Dorothy gave some route advice and I jotted down a "cheat sheet" for when I was out on the road so I'd know when to turn etc.
8 am I was headed out. Gorgeous morning. I opted to do a bit of a detour so I could ride by the riverside for a bit. Once out of the city I rode in farm country. It was very nice. I enjoy the country, and the roads weren't all that busy.
I had been looking forward to this day for quite some time because I specifically planned my route so I'd be going through the New Hamburg area where I recently discovered there is a farm where they make really good Gouda cheese. I was excited to see the place for myself and to take home some choice picks.
I was greeted by a very excited black lab pup, who just wanted me to stroke him and tried to get as close as possible. Sweet thing.
It was super cool, the cows in the barn over producing the milk to make the cheese and through an observation window I saw the cheese making in progress.
I was impressed at how many variations they had come up with. They let me sample about 6 different kinds.
I chose a "Gold" Gouda and a package of black pepper cheese curds to take home with me. I was grateful it was a cooler day so the cheese would keep.
Technically I could've bought the cheese in Hamilton or Dundas, but it felt special going right to the source.
I had a pretty strong West wind to help me make good time home. Once I got to Glen Morris (near Cambridge), I let my bike find its own way home since I've traveled those roads several times before and they felt familiar. It was also nice knowing which roads were quieter, hence more enjoyable to ride on for a change!
I could feel that my body was tired, worn from the 3 weeks in the saddle (yup, every single day), but having the wind at my back was exactly what I needed. And I thanked God for it!
What a contrast to my first day of 130 Km's in 9 1/2 hrs, I put in 113 Km's in under 4 1/2 hrs! But a great way to finish the trip on a high note!
I got home just in time to join in the BBQ lunch my folks were having in the backyard, perfect timing!
And now, after 2330 Km's of riding this month, it's time to get back to the life I left behind... To readjust. At least I have a bit of time to recoup before working again!
Thanks for following along as I journeyed!
-- - Eritia




Eritia, I am so happy you have made your way home safely! We have been praying for you. It was such a pleasure meeting you; I hope you carry with you great memories of your ride across the country, and hopefully fond memories of your stay with us!
ReplyDelete