Slept well enough but once 7am came around I was up and walking to the Lighthouse a few houses down, it was quiet and I had the place to myself.
I boiled water and made oatmeal with the rations I had with me for times like this. Sat and ate by the waterfront, knowing it wasn't everyday I had such an opportunity.
Read a couple psalms, which seemed to so it the time and place.
Then I got my things together. I waited just long enough to say goodbye to a Ruby and Ananda and then I was on the search for wifi.
It was 8:30 am so I wasn't sure what would be open, but I headed to the Parks Canada Visitor Center since I had noticed a wifi symbol on a map indicating they offered it.
There was group of kids preparing to be led on a hike and the leader, a young man, came over offering a whole plate full of sliced oranges leftover from the group as well as a few granola bars, saying he was also into bike touring and knew what it was like to be on the road.
I was happy for the fresh fruit especially, and ate half and bagged the rest for later.
I headed out around 9:30 again and got some Hillsong music going as I started down 6, which really was the only option to get to where I needed to go. It wasn't terribly busy and I had a decent shoulder.
It rained lightly, but not enough to stop and find cover (not that there was much around!)
On Red Bay road I headed West, into the wind, to pick up the Waterfront trail. It was basically a quieter road, which was lovely as the Hwy 6 had been getting busier as the morning wore on.
Passed Sauble beach, and went down the strip. It actually reminded me of Port Dover, just droves of tourists walking around shopping, eating, going to the beach. The sun had, by then, come out and it was shaping up to be a nice day!
I found it a little too overwhelming with all the people so I didn't stop as planned and just kept going. Decided to take a bit of a more round about route to my hosts house and ended up in South Hampton, where lakefront properties abound.
At Skubby's point park I finally got off my bike to eat a bite and journal for a bit.
It wasn't much further to my hosts place and I was glad I had a tailwind as I was growing tired. I think the sun was also getting to me as I hadn't applied much sunscreen in the grey early morning.
I was very ready to call it a day once I reached Dan and Donna's place.
Instead of 105 Km's I had ridden 128.
I was warmly greeted and shown around and encouraged to take my time and settle in.
It feels so good to shower after a long days ride.
Donna had made 3 fresh and delicious salads and Dan had BBQ'd up burgers with blue cheese (love!) for our supper.
It was a high metabolism day and I amazed Dan by eating more than he did (2 burgers and a generous helping of salads). I may be skinny but all the activity needed to be fuelled somehow!
We had some good conversations about cycle touring, art and building houses.
- Eritia




No comments:
Post a Comment