Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Day 11; Relaxed pace for a day

I awoke to smells of bacon cooking in the bakery below after having slept very well.
Marybeth had already left for an event but I was welcomed to stay as long as I wanted, so I lingered enjoying the chance to use wifi. I did some last minute communications trying to figure out where I'd be that night. Perhaps the psalm where it speaks of "unless the Lord builds the house the labourers labour in vain" applies here as well, unless the Lord provides a host willing and able to host last minute, we stress in vain.
Maybe it's all a part of the adventure, this learning how to Trust God in the everyday.
There was a couple open to hosting me in Marquette, but it would be camping and no supper and so I figured I'd be better off camping somewhere further along on my route (Marquette being only 20 Km's away from the bakery). So I asked another host, super last minute, which I dislike doing, but worth the ask, especially when they said sure, I could camp out there (so it was like 62 Km's total for the day)
I designated today as a rest day of sorts, which meant I had lots of time to explore.
After feeling I'd lingered long enough I got my things together to head out. That's when I discovered Marybeth had put four cookies and a couple of squares in my helmet with a note, so kind! Made my heart swell with gratitude once again.
It was an overcast morning and quite cool (14 C). Not used to wearing layers anymore!
Easy ride to Marquette on back roads. Found a bike shop to check out why my front wheel was a bit wobbly, got that straightened out. Met another cycle tourist, cross country guy and we chatted a bit. I'm always amazed when I see how heavily loaded some cycle tourists are. I'm considered a lightweight, but if you hefted my bike you wouldn't think so!
Found the Peter White Library, the most impressive library I've ever been in. There I got a guest login and uploaded my rides off my Garmin onto Strava.
From there I found a park overlooking the Ore Docks in the bay. Marquette is a beautiful city. I sat, ate lunch, journaled and then moved on to the next park, where I used the facilities and took pictures and did a sketch of milkweed plants in the sheltered spot, out of the (cold) wind.
Then I continued on, the wind a tail cross.
Marquette is quite the mining town with history!
Followed a bike trail along Superior for awhile. Found a little lending library book box so I could exchange the book I had finished reading a few days ago for a new paperback. Things like that make me happy.
I saw a woman picking something along the trail and noticed they're wild blueberries! So of course I had to stop and pick some too! So yummy!
So I picked a ziplock baggie of them for later. Another thing that just made my day!
Maybe relaxing a bit more and being present and grateful in the moment is a better way to do life!
Rejoined the road when the trail got too gravelly.
When I passed a free outdoor sculpture park I thought, why not? I had time to burn, so I rode around looking at the exhibits. It was pretty bright and sunny so I couldn't get such great photos, but still, glad I went.
Continued on my way and stopped again at a Rest area that had restrooms and a gorgeous setting beside a lake. I would've sat and enjoyed it had I not been approached by a guy who was obviously drinking (and maybe smoking some weed since he offered me both). Okay, moving on.
I arrived at my hosts place. They weren't home, but I was welcomed to camp. So I settled down on the grass next to the lake in the sun to get warm, eat, and catch up on more journaling (what can I say, I'm an introvert, that's how I process)!
I could hear the waves on the shore below, it was very restful. Just as I was scouting the land for where best to pitch my tent a vehicle pulled into my hosts drive.
Turns out they came special because they knew I'd be staying (they have more than one house you see), and not only was I invited to sleep in their spare room inside (it was getting chilly out!) I was invited to join them for a wonderful meal of Spaghetti, garden salad and garlic bread (a meal cyclists can fully appreciate given the amount of carbs!) I was blown away, my expectations for the night were transformed, my gratitude filling me to the brim again (Thank you God!)! I'm so thankful for people like Mike and Barb!

--
- Eritia
--
- Eritia

No comments:

Post a Comment