Thursday, July 12, 2018

Day 5; Overcast to Grand Rapids

I wanted to get an early start to my day because I wanted to get the cycling part done and over with. There was rain in the forecast, so you never can tell, that and the wind would be ever increasing as the day wore on, and it didn't look like it would be in my favour. So much for "prevailing westerly winds".
Joe provided cereal for breakfast (which has proved to be a good way to start a cycling day for me), and once done eating I felt no reason to stay and got going. 7:30 am.
Was a nice, but overcast morning. Temperatures stayed comfortable since the sun wasn't beating down on me.
I got my audiobook going before hitting up highway 2. Again.
Have been grateful for the distraction. Riding along the highway grows wearisome.
This truly is the land of many lakes! Apparently over 14000! Crazy to see the map of the area I rode through. Lots of evergreen trees and logging trucks as well.
Passed a lumber mill smelling of clean fresh sawdust. There were a few small towns along the way, but nothing really warranting a stop.
This is the State where the mighty Mississippi River gets its humble beginnings.
So I rode. And rode. And rode. I felt tired and ready to call it a day, and I still had 20 Km's to go... Glad it was a "shorter" day. The wind picked up. And the going got tougher.
Sure was happy to see the sign for Pokegama (Po-KEG-ama) Dam Recreation Area where I hoped to camp the night.
It was right along the highway, convenient, but noisy.
I hadn't reserved a sight, but since tent camping wasn't in high demand, I was able to get a spot off in a secluded area.
I set up camp right away, keeping in mind it would likely rain at some point.
Felt so good to shower.
The Army Corp of Engineers run this campground, which is interesting. Probably has to do with the Dam being right there. It was a well maintained park, clean and green.
My right shoulder has been causing me a lot of pain recently.
Around 3 pm I headed into Grand Rapids on my bike free of it's panniers. It was about 5 Km's into town, and I had scouted out the library and potential places to eat.
The library was beautiful! I was glad to get internet, upload my rides from my Garmin, and enjoy being in that comfortable space.
By 5 pm it was time for me to find food though!
I opted to try Burger King (I know, sad choice)... It was something of a curiosity. I can't remember ever going to a Burger King.
I tried their veggie burger and fries. Haven't had fries in like forever, and they were so crispy and salty and it hit the spot.
No wifi though. So I won't be going back there for breakfast in the morning.
Tailwind back to camp, with a quick stop at a grocery store for some fresh fruit.
It was a beautiful evening. I was glad the rain held off so I didn't have to hunker down in my tent.
I stretched and read and tried to be present in the moment and be thankful to God for all the ways he's sustained and carried me through.
By 8 I was ready to call it a day, just so tired and worn out, so I got everything under cover for the inevitable rain, popped in some earplugs and called it a day!
12:30 the thunderstorm raged and I felt a puddle forming beside my thermarest. Gross. I wrote up my blog post during the half hour storm, since I couldn't sleep through the noise and tent being buffeted by wind.
5:25 am the train went by shaking the ground beneath.
Rough night!

--
- Eritia

No comments:

Post a Comment