Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Day 10; Re-entering Eastern Time Zone

I never seem to sleep that well when I tent, so I'm always glad when morning comes.
It looked like it would be another beautiful day! I made quick work of packing up my campsite before rolling down the hill to the day use area, where the sun shone over the lake. There I ate my breakfast and sat and journaled for a bit. It was so quiet, but it was probably too early for most campers.
I didn't have to rush off, but I get itchy to get on the road. I made myself sit and be present where I was and do a sketch. Got to hear a loon which was lovely.
Can tell weekend is over, the logging trucks are back on the road.
There was a northwest wind blowing... And I was headed northeast, so I had some tail, some head wind. 
It was pretty much all highway cycling, though by highway, I mean, it was a two lane paved thoroughfare. Not much else bike able around. At one point I had to stop and wait for construction. Road repaved. It's awkward when I'm a cyclist as fast as cars but needing the lane, but once I got through that it was beautiful fresh blacktop for miles and the cars only came in occasional waves. I saw a roadside rest area and stopped just to have a break from the continual motion. Even pulled out the sketchbook again and drew a pine cone, because I could :)
Once I reached the Eastbound highway to Marquette I had a pretty significant tailwind. The highway had more shoulder to ride on which was a good thing since it was way busier. Almost forgot I lost an hour because of the time zone, not that it mattered, I made good time and only had 110 Km's to ride.
Passed the world's largest running chainsaw in Ishpeming.
Once I reached Teal lake I could see Negaunee in the distance. Pretty spot. Dude from the other night had told me I needed to try a pastie, that's right, not a pasty. It's a big thing in the "U.P." Apparently. So I stopped in a shop to give them a try. It's a massive savoury pastry filled with meat potato and rutabaga and onion. Of course they have all sorts of variations, but I figured I'd better do the classic. It was pretty good, and very filling!
From there I went into town to find the Midtown bakery, not because I was still hungry but because my WarmShower host owned it and lived above it!
It was a cute place, and had I been more hungry I would've been drooling over everything.
Marybeth greeted me with a hug and showed me where to put my bike, do my laundry etc.
It was good to be off the road and get cleaned up and settled in. I desperately needed laundry done and with the strong wind it air dryer quickly on the balcony.
I went down to the bakery where Marybeth let me concoct a salad for supper. She had expanded her bakery to include a cafe a few years back.
It reminded me of a bakery I once worked at. Marybeth was busy with orders but refused my offer to help. I sat in the cafe and we talked in bits and snatches as she worked. She offered me anything from the display, oh the choices! I opted for a piece of blueberry cheesecake, since I don't often get that. What a treat!
I was able to just relax. I'm trying to figure out what to do for Tuesday night still, but trust God will provide something :)
--
- Eritia

No comments:

Post a Comment